Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Issue with Model 3...autopilot not working plus no regen braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the colder weather here in Maryland, I have been having some issues with the steering wheel.Even when I carefully press the brake to change gears, I feel a slight bump when I turn the steering wheel, which throws the steering and lane change automations off and my autopilot and regen braking are all disabled. I know after one particular cold snap, I had trouble steering (like it lost all electric steering control) and I reset it and it operated normally. But now I feel that “bump/jump” if I make a slight turn and that's when I get the warnings.

I’ve reset the car and turned it off several times, and I still get this error. Sometimes, it’ll come back on just fine and steer normally, and other times, it doesn’t. I put a service appointment in at the Rockville SC, but I hope there isn’t an issue with the steering rack. I bought my car (2018 LR M3) from Carmax a few months ago and it's still under warranty, but their service department usually takes the car to a Tesla SC or someone who specializes in Teslas. Also, I've heard some people said it was a sensor issue. I also wondered if I could get a remote diagnostic to determine the cause.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Can't speak to the steering issues but regen only works fully when the battery is warmed to an optimal temperature. In cold temperatures unless the car has warmed up over a long drive or by preconditioning it won't kick in fully or at all at the beginning.

Can't speak to the steering issues but regen only works fully when the battery is warmed to an optimal temperature. In cold temperatures unless the car has warmed up over a long drive or by preconditioning it won't kick in fully or at all at the beginning.
Yeah, I knew that. My main issue is the steering. I have a service appointment next Tuesday. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the SC, but it is what it is.

Update: Evidently, the wiring in the steering harness was frayed, so they have to replace that. The SC will have to have it about a week, but they said they may give me a loaner as early as tomorrow. So we shall see.
I got the loaner yesterday. The people at the SC said they have to wait for the new wiring for the harness to come from the factory in California and things have been taking awhile. So at least I have transportation for now. I have some job interviews coming up and need transportation, so I'm glad I have a loaner for the time being.

Reactions: Marty3SR+ and tm1v2