Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Issues on new (July 2017) Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I was hoping to place an order on a new Model S 75 by the end of the month. I have recently heard reports about some steering issues, such as a power steering failure? I know Teslas don't have the best quality control reputation, and minor cosmetic things/alignments I dont mind, but this seems to be really serious.

I first heard about this issue here:

And since browsing the forums, it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident. Thing is, that video was posted 7 months ago, and I would hope that Tesla engineers have gotten to the bottom of this and fixed it. Is that the case? Has anyone who recently took delivery of their Model S experienced this issue?

Are there any other major/dangerous issues (steering/brakes) that are common on new cars that I should know about?

Thanks, F

People predominately come to forums like this to seek help on issues or vent frustrations so using this forum to truly gauge the severity of the problem will skew your findings heavily.

Yes, there have been some issues, but I'm sure it has affected minuscule amount of people. Of course, if you happen to be an unlucky person, it definitely is not minuscule at the time. As jeffro01 states, no manufacturer is immune from lemons or random failures.

Lastly, as Tesla most likely does not design and build the steering rack, it's ultimately hard to blame them on a supplier's failures that is out of their control.

Reactions: gabeincal
Human nature is to focus on two negatives and ignore ninety eight positives out of 100, which does nothing other than causing unnecessary confusion resulting in utter indecision. In that scenario, one should stop eating, may be eat, bathe may be don't bathe, and----------- the list is endless.

I have been driving Tesla since 2013 and never encountered the problem cited by OP. That is not to say that it doesn't exist but rather appear that these are far and few in between. We have two Tesla MS in the household and if I have my dithers, we will not be driving any other car any time soon. Makes me sound like like a fan boy, if that is so, then that is because I have overwhelmingly majority of reasons for, than against. IMHO, if you focus solely on negative/s you will be missing out on wonderful experience. But to each his own.

Last edited: