Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Power Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my brand new Tesla Model Y last week - I have driven it for 6 days.

Day 4 I couldn’t get the steering wheel to turn - it said there was a steering power reduced fault. I got in & out of the car and it corrected itself. Again day 5 this happened - it took longer to correct but error message went away.

I updated the car yesterday morning & it took ages. Stuck at 60% then once completed, the steering wheel error won’t go away & wheel won’t turn. Tesla advised they would pick up the car but I refused to let it go be parked up somewhere during Easter holidays. I’m a taxi driver so this car was a massive investment & I need a reliable car. Has anyone else had this fault recently or in a 2023 model?

I got the same error right after software update 2023.6.11. I parked the car walk to a store for five minutes, hopped on the car again no more trouble so far, Knocking on wood. Scheduled a service with Tesla to get answers. Did you wash the car or performed a software update recently?

Funny bugger stuff after a software update isn't that unusual. Usual trick is to try one, the other, or both of the common resets to fix weird behavior:

1. Double scroll-wheel reset: Hold both down until the screen goes black. One can then let go and, eventually, the big "T" for Tesla appears.

2. In, I think, the Service menu there's an option to de-power the car. Grab a book, close the doors, do the option, read the book for five minutes, then hit the brake to bring the car back to life.

Reactions: electrikcuban
Funny bugger stuff after a software update isn't that unusual. Usual trick is to try one, the other, or both of the common resets to fix weird behavior:

1. Double scroll-wheel reset: Hold both down until the screen goes black. One can then let go and, eventually, the big "T" for Tesla appears.

2. In, I think, the Service menu there's an option to de-power the car. Grab a book, close the doors, do the option, read the book for five minutes, then hit the brake to bring the car back to life.
5 minutes in a closed shut off car where I live would result in a heat stroke

I should clear that today I don’t have reduced steering, but rather no ability to use cruise control. The message is different, and there are no visualizations on the screen.
Last time I did both resets and waited about an hour and then it was fine. I just did both resets again and I’m waiting for a bit to see.

I should clear that today I don’t have reduced steering, but rather no ability to use cruise control. The message is different, and there are no visualizations on the screen.
Last time I did both resets and waited about an hour and then it was fine. I just did both resets again and I’m waiting for a bit to see.
That tells me that letting the car go to sleep resolved the issue, not the reboot. You shouldn't have to wait for a reboot to resolve an issue.

Samething just happen to me today when I try to drive my car after the update last night. Now I got "Steering assist reduced " try holding both button to restart the car like three times the error code still on. Any recommendations besides calling Tesla service?. By the way the car is brand new 2023 MYP 700 miles

Same thing just happened to me stanc52. Mode Y with 400 miles. First time in the car since updating the software this afternoon. Letting the car sleep now. Haven’t made a service appointment yet.
Power cycling appears to have fixed it for now. I made a service appointment for this coming week. Told them I’d like some reassurance the car, which I picked up yesterday is safe to drive. Reasonable right?