Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering pulls right when turning right, like highway speeds and in exits/ramps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So lately I've been noticing that when I turn right a normal amount, my steering wheel feels kind of sticky and stuck and even pulls more toward the right. If I let go, it doesn't automatically center itself. So when I let go of the steering wheel, normally it rotates back to center. This doesn't happen when turning left, however.

Any ideas what it could be? To be clear, this isn't the same as when you center your wheel and your car slightly pulls to the right. My car still for the most part goes straight and doesn't pull THAT much. This is when I actually engaged my steering wheel to turn right. For example, when taking an exit at a moderate speed, I feel it. It doesn't happen that often but enough that I don't feel confident on the stability of the car. I feel like my wheel is going to go sideways completely and basically break off the parts holding it.

One thing to note is that I did a wheel rotation. So that might be part of it, but I don't see any unusual wear on the tires, except that the fronts now are lower than the rears. I have a RWD car so the rears wear faster than fronts. I can't recall if this issue happened before so I can't confidently say that it was the wheels/tires that causing this or some part controlling the wheels.

Any ideas? What can I check? I did google searches but they all talk about cars pulling to either direction when driving straight.

I have 118K miles on the P85 and haven't done anything to it aside from new tires 1.5 yrs ago. I didn't do an alignment then either as it wasn't needed and I never had an issue until recently.

To clarify, does your steering wheel "stick" where you set it when you turn left, or does it just not return *all the way* centered (a couple degrees left)?

What is your steering force setting? Put your steering force on "light" or whatever, and see if it still does it.

Tire rotation could cause some weird steering characteristics if you had cupping or uneven wear, swap the front left and right tire to see if it changes.

Next step would be to get your alignment checked to see what your front values are. Cross camber, Cross caster, and excessive toe could cause it to drift off to the left, which would have the steering wheel slightly off center.

Reactions: besnova
Steering rack bolts?

+1 on having the alignment checked, especially if it has never been touched.

To clarify, does your steering wheel "stick" where you set it when you turn left
Yes exactly. Sometimes it feels like it sticks to that position. I just don't feel completely confident in the steering anymore as before. I'm hoping its just an alignment thing. I wonder if it is okay to wait it out until the fall, where I'll be installing new tires to get the alignment checked.

Yes exactly. Sometimes it feels like it sticks to that position. I just don't feel completely confident in the steering anymore as before. I'm hoping its just an alignment thing. I wonder if it is okay to wait it out until the fall, where I'll be installing new tires to get the alignment checked.
I'd say only you know whether the car feels safe or not. Tires or wheels have nothing to do with alignment, however. You could have a loose alignment bolt that is allowing the alignment to shift under certain loads. Any alignment shop should be able to take care of this if you don't want to wait/pay for the SC.

Rotate the wheels back and see if you still have the same issue. Unless you hit a big pothole or something right after the rotation, the alignment wouldn’t have changed. Could all be bad timing and something else is truly wrong, but rotating back is simple/easy and will confirm/deny a few things for you.

So lately I've been noticing that when I turn right a normal amount, my steering wheel feels kind of sticky and stuck and even pulls more toward the right. If I let go, it doesn't automatically center itself. So when I let go of the steering wheel, normally it rotates back to center. This doesn't happen when turning left, however.

Any ideas what it could be? To be clear, this isn't the same as when you center your wheel and your car slightly pulls to the right. My car still for the most part goes straight and doesn't pull THAT much. This is when I actually engaged my steering wheel to turn right. For example, when taking an exit at a moderate speed, I feel it. It doesn't happen that often but enough that I don't feel confident on the stability of the car. I feel like my wheel is going to go sideways completely and basically break off the parts holding it.

One thing to note is that I did a wheel rotation. So that might be part of it, but I don't see any unusual wear on the tires, except that the fronts now are lower than the rears. I have a RWD car so the rears wear faster than fronts. I can't recall if this issue happened before so I can't confidently say that it was the wheels/tires that causing this or some part controlling the wheels.

Any ideas? What can I check? I did google searches but they all talk about cars pulling to either direction when driving straight.

I have 118K miles on the P85 and haven't done anything to it aside from new tires 1.5 yrs ago. I didn't do an alignment then either as it wasn't needed and I never had an issue until recently.

did you sort this out? I have exactly the same with my p85dl. Quite sure they did the steering bolt recall adjustment in one of my 20 visits to the SC…