Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering rack click when reversing or inching over speedbumps....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Just started noticing it occasionally maybe a few months ago. Starting to become more pronounced. Happens when going from say drive to reverse and it will click (can feel it in the steering wheel) when I first start to backup after having gone forward. Also happens if I inch really slowly over a speed bump but it doesn't happen if I drive faster over the speed bump.

I noticed that the new service check and inspect items have some items related to torquing steering components. Wonder if this is related?

I had something like this happen on my car. I did not feel it in the steering wheel, but heard a click. Issue was happening when driving slowly in near full lock. Service center replaced some bolts with the updated shorter version, which solved the issue. It does not sound like your exact issue, but may be worth a shot mentioning to SC.

@sorka, I had same clicking sounds as yours. It mainly happened when I was backing out the driveway and as soon as I cranked the wheel to either to the left or right it starting making the clicking noise which sounded like it was way underneath the dash area. It never made the noise when driving straight, just reversing from driveway. The SC advisor knew right away what I was talking about and said they've had many with this issue.

@sorka, I had same clicking sounds as yours. It mainly happened when I was backing out the driveway and as soon as I cranked the wheel to either to the left or right it starting making the clicking noise which sounded like it was way underneath the dash area. It never made the noise when driving straight, just reversing from driveway. The SC advisor knew right away what I was talking about and said they've had many with this issue.

Did they fix yours?

My early '13 had similar issue to many mentioned here: with high steering angle, I'd get popping noise when suspension was articulating (driveway transition, speed bump, etc...)

Also similar steering rack bolt fix at service center.

I seem to have the same problem, when I reverse with full lock I get a clicking noise.

Sometimes when I drive away after the car has been parked i get a similar click .

See video

is this the Steering rack bolts?? my car is only 11 months old ?? Will they do this under warranty?