TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering rack click when reversing or inching over speedbumps....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sorka, Feb 3, 2017.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Just started noticing it occasionally maybe a few months ago. Starting to become more pronounced. Happens when going from say drive to reverse and it will click (can feel it in the steering wheel) when I first start to backup after having gone forward. Also happens if I inch really slowly over a speed bump but it doesn't happen if I drive faster over the speed bump.

I noticed that the new service check and inspect items have some items related to torquing steering components. Wonder if this is related?

2. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Does it make the noise if you turn the steering wheel lock to lock while sitting still? That indicates steering rack bolts that need to be tightened. It had to be done to my 2014 S85 about 6 months after I got it.

3. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

I had something like this happen on my car. I did not feel it in the steering wheel, but heard a click. Issue was happening when driving slowly in near full lock. Service center replaced some bolts with the updated shorter version, which solved the issue. It does not sound like your exact issue, but may be worth a shot mentioning to SC.

4. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

Steering rack bolts needs to be re-tightened. Same clicking sound I had.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Which, my sound or zdre's :)

6. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

@sorka, I had same clicking sounds as yours. It mainly happened when I was backing out the driveway and as soon as I cranked the wheel to either to the left or right it starting making the clicking noise which sounded like it was way underneath the dash area. It never made the noise when driving straight, just reversing from driveway. The SC advisor knew right away what I was talking about and said they've had many with this issue.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Did they fix yours?

8. cmf

cmf Member

Most likely it is SB-16-32-001, had it done last year to my 2015 70D

9. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

My early '13 had similar issue to many mentioned here: with high steering angle, I'd get popping noise when suspension was articulating (driveway transition, speed bump, etc...)

Also similar steering rack bolt fix at service center.

10. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

Yup, no more clicking.

• Informative x 1