Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering rack shim Service Bulletin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced a bunch of suspension components front and rear and got an alignment. Over a few months time I developed this clicking sound when turning left at low speed or stopped. It’s the front left of the car. At speed if I hit road imperfections there’s a loose/rattle sound coming from the same area.
Ive been told theres a service bulletin fix for this with shims and re torque, but for the life of me I can’t figure out where the shims/washers need to go? I can’t replicate the sound with my wheel off.

Reactions: EVChris
SB-13-32-001
Can’t find the actual verbiage/bulletin though. When it was addressed on my car they didn’t reference the SB, only replaced the bolts.

Attachments

• B377A8B6-6C3B-478C-9557-CE61D892041E.png
    B377A8B6-6C3B-478C-9557-CE61D892041E.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 348
Reactions: BostonBurley
The sound occurs at a standstill but sounds further into the wheel well. Not a wheel bearing based on that, although I wouldn’t mind if it was after changing a wheel bearing yesterday. Easy.

Also try retorq everything you have replaced also all alignment bolts, few months ago I had a friend with a noise that was coming from a completely loose alignment bolt. So I retorqed it for him and send the car back to the alignment shop.

Reactions: BostonBurley
Also try retorq everything you have replaced also all alignment bolts, few months ago I had a friend with a noise that was coming from a completely loose alignment bolt. So I retorqed it for him and send the car back to the alignment shop.
I’m planning to do this tomorrow for that very reason. It would be a happy accident if you ask me. One that’s easy to remedy. I need an alignment anyhow from a pothole that destroyed my tire.