Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering shuddering in a brand new car. Anyone else experience this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model 3 Performance last Saturday. I absolutely love it, but I've noticed one oddity, and I believe the chat operator is mis-diagnosing the problem.

Although it's not 100% repeatable (it only happens on occasion at random), when merging from one lane to another, after approx. 1/8-1/4 of the way over the lane, the wheel shudders for a split second, then fixes itself. The chat agent said it sounded like there might be something wrong with the suspension. I think it's software related. It feels like the lane assist wants to kick in and can't decide if it should or not.

If it was something physically wrong with the suspension, it would be more consistent, and not only happen at certain spots in a lane change. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm going freeway speeds or 20-30mph. It also doesn't matter if I'm merging left or right. The only thing I'm not positive on as I haven't noticed, is whether or not having the blinker on when I merge makes a difference from the blinker off (I only use the blinker if I have someone near me to whom it would effect. If there is nobody near me, I don't bother with the blinker. Don't need to warn the ghosts that I'm merging ;)

I already did a full computer reset per their instructions as well. It did not fix the problem. Anyone else come across this oddity?

• Funny
Reactions: ilyak
The steering wheel has a little shake when you cross lanes without signalling. I think you can turn this off somewhere in settings. It's hard to describe, but it feels a bit like you're driving over rumble strips.

From page 84 in the owner's manual. Hopefully this helps.

Lane Assist warns you of undesired lane
departures by vibrating the steering wheel
slightly if a front wheel passes over a lane
marking and the associated turn signal is off.
This warning is active only when driving
between approximately 36 and 90 mph (59
and 150 km/h). To turn this warning on or off,
touch Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure
Warning. Your chosen setting is retained until
you manually change it"

This "problem" pops up a lot. Sometimes an innocent question, other times angry rants about quality control. Yes, it's a feature. Yes, you should feel silly after understanding. All that's fine. What gets me is people at Tesla not immediately recognizing what's being reported and thinking something is wrong with the suspension.

Reactions: alexGS
I just got my Model 3 Performance last Saturday. I absolutely love it, but I've noticed one oddity, and I believe the chat operator is mis-diagnosing the problem.

Although it's not 100% repeatable (it only happens on occasion at random), when merging from one lane to another, after approx. 1/8-1/4 of the way over the lane, the wheel shudders for a split second, then fixes itself. The chat agent said it sounded like there might be something wrong with the suspension. I think it's software related. It feels like the lane assist wants to kick in and can't decide if it should or not.

If it was something physically wrong with the suspension, it would be more consistent, and not only happen at certain spots in a lane change. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm going freeway speeds or 20-30mph. It also doesn't matter if I'm merging left or right. The only thing I'm not positive on as I haven't noticed, is whether or not having the blinker on when I merge makes a difference from the blinker off (I only use the blinker if I have someone near me to whom it would effect. If there is nobody near me, I don't bother with the blinker. Don't need to warn the ghosts that I'm merging ;)
Lol no you need to warn the people that you didn’t notice flying up on your side while you decided to make a lane change without a signal. That’s how accidents happen.

Reactions: JBT66
Are you using the turn signal when changing lanes? If not, what you feel is probably the lane departure warning.
99.9% probability that it's the lane departure warning which causes the steering wheel to vibrate. I had the same issue when I first got the car and I didn't realize that I had the Lane departure warning enabled. Nothing wrong with a car at all. An additional suggestion to all new owners. Sit down and actually read the owner's manual which is available as a PDF. It will save you a lot of grief around this kind of stuff

Thank you so much for the information. I'll check the setting next time I'm in the car and disable it. I've been looking online for secret/hidden features etc, but hadn't gone through the manual. I can't believe the rep from Tesla made me go through full computer resets and all of this other BS and suggested bad suspension, but never thought to bring up this feature that can be turned off.

So far, I love the car, but I'm not impressed with the service side of things. You can't get any person on the phone for tech support, and I've sent 2 emails on this problem, both went unanswered. When researching this problem online, I came across a video of some guy who bought a certified pre-owned Tesla from the MFG, and after more than 2 months, he still doesn't have his car. Nothing but excuses. They've told him it was ready for pickup at least 8 different times, and each time, it was not. They told him they would have a loaner available for pickup at the place that's 3+ hours from him.. he goes there and they have no loaner for him. Sounds like Tesla needs some more staff on the side that deals with the vehicles after they've been purchased!

Anyways, thanks again! I'll check the setting, turn it off if it's on, and see if my troubles go away.

So to confirm, I checked the settings and sure enough, this feature was enabled. Disabling it resolved my problem. Thank you so much to all of you who helped. I've been in cars that had warning signals of things like unexpected lane changes etc, but usually it was an audible one. With a drive by wire vehicle, it's a bit scary to get a random glitchy vibration in the steering wheel. I get where they were going with it, but it still seems like a bad way to get your attention. An audible is just fine, or if they truly want to give you a shake, put a vibrator in the seat, so they don't feel like the car is going to have a mind of it's own and go out of control, especially since the car is one of the first of it's kind to have a self drive option.

Reactions: alexGS

I already did a full computer reset per their instructions as well. It did not fix the problem. Anyone else come across this oddity?

Could it be the lane departure system?

Tesla’s new safety features really push you to stay in your lane

Find it interesting that the OP thinks disabling this was "fixing a problem". There is no problem with the car, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

Yes but unfortunately the inexperienced newbies often times are baffled by these features and wonder if something is wrong with the car. I would say Tesla on average at least in terms of their sales and delivery personnel don't adequately warn individuals or at least don't do a substantive enough review of what's in the menu systems. It would alay a lot of confusion