TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering squeaking at low speeds

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gurtburns, Aug 21, 2018.

1. gurtburns

gurtburns Member

Hey TMC.

I’ve had my model 3 for a week now and it’s beven great! Now that I’m not taking advantage of the awesome acceleration at every oppurtunity, I’ve noticed a squeak in the steering. It happens at low speeds 1-5mph and only when the steering wheel crosses the center point(where the wheels are straight. I got a video of it. Any thoughts?

I’m planning on calling the SC later but while I wait I’d see if anyone else has noticed this or knows what’s causing it.

Video Here
    MSM P3D+

2. gurtburns

gurtburns Member

Got a SC appointment scheduled for Friday. Hoping its nothing major :)

3. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

The car is confused. It only expects to go fast and turn left (AKA TRACK MODE)

Otherwise, no idea, sorry.

4. gurtburns

gurtburns Member

And go fast it does! My solution so far has just been to go fast enough that it doesn't squeak. :D

• Like x 1
  5. gurtburns

gurtburns Member

As a note the squeaking did start to happen at faster speeds up to 20mph over the weekend.

Its at the SC right now, dropped it off this morning. They had a P100D waiting for me :D:D. I have a little bit of speed envy but I do miss the shorter wheel base and the handling of my 3.

6. gurtburns

gurtburns Member

Got my 3 back last night! The re installed the steering column and the squeak went away. I really do appreciate the size and weight of the p3d vs the p100d.

7. CoolSilver

CoolSilver Member

Mine is a week old too and I got 1000 miles on it. Just noticed this same squeak. Only to left so far. XD