Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering squeaking at low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC.

I’ve had my model 3 for a week now and it’s beven great! Now that I’m not taking advantage of the awesome acceleration at every oppurtunity, I’ve noticed a squeak in the steering. It happens at low speeds 1-5mph and only when the steering wheel crosses the center point(where the wheels are straight. I got a video of it. Any thoughts?

I’m planning on calling the SC later but while I wait I’d see if anyone else has noticed this or knows what’s causing it.

Video Here
MSM P3D+

As a note the squeaking did start to happen at faster speeds up to 20mph over the weekend.

Its at the SC right now, dropped it off this morning. They had a P100D waiting for me :D:D. I have a little bit of speed envy but I do miss the shorter wheel base and the handling of my 3.

I had the same squeaking noise at 1-5 mph and took it to my SC. They replaced the steering module and the squeak is still there. I had the mobile service come and the guy took apart and reinstalled the steering wheel. Seemed like it worked but the noise is back. No idea how this will get fixed.

Moving the steering wheel in more doesn’t squeak as much. When I extend it out which I prefer it squeaks. Also when extending the wheel in and out it sounds like something is pulling as well as a squeak with the motor. I just want to know if the steering module as Tesla calls it is the same as a steering column. If so, I already had it replaced. Wondering if replacing the steering wheel will make a difference.

I found out what is causing this issue. Talking to so many TESLA folks I was bound to get a correct answer. So there is a rubber grommet down behind the steering wheel. It basically needs more oil to lubricate it. No replacement parts or nothing. One day fix. So basically the other service center I went to in Sunnyvale, CA had my car for a week and replaced the steering module/column for no reason. Should have just gone to the Fremont service center to begin with.

Reactions: SJC3