TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering stiffer after 2019.36.1.2?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by cosinea, Nov 14, 2019.

1. cosinea

cosinea New Member

Has anyone else noticed noticeably stiffer steering since updating to 2019.36.1.2?

I updated my Sep 2019 LR/AWD Model 3 yesterday, only to immediately notice stiffer steering across all three steering types (Comfort, Standard, Sporty). Comfort now feels like what was once Standard, Standard feels like Sporty, and Sporty is...sportier (??).

All driving modes (Creep, Roll, Hold) are equally affected by this...though my guess is that these are unrelated to the stiffness, anyway.

This is driving me nuts, as I prefer Comfort steering (or rather, what it once was...)

2. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Have heard others say the same. I did not notice it on our M3P, but admittedly I do not drive it every day.

3. MagnusMako

MagnusMako Member

Yep noticed this instantly after the update. Decided to take it out of Sport steering that I normally had on and moved it down to the Standard steering. Just a bit too stiff for my liking.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

I thought it was just me as the wheel even in Standard seems a lot more responsive. (LR / RWD)

5. Orwell

Orwell Member

I noticed it as well. I like it.

It's part of the range improvement. Less power steering assist means less power consumed, therefore more range.

Just kidding, I don't know if that's true, but just thinking out loud.

6. Occhis

Occhis Member

There was no range increase in this update, only a 5% power increase.

7. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

I thought it was mostly tied to the fact that when in the new "hold" mode, there's more pedal effort at low speed, thus the steering can feel like more effort is required. Perhaps it really does require more effort?

8. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I noticed that as well
    not just connected to the hold mode which only comes into effect <5mph

9. Azamat

Azamat Member

Yep, noticed that as well. Changed from Sport to Standard. Tried Sport on highway at 80 MPH - feels really good, in control.

10. cosinea

cosinea New Member

I think I agree that it can feel good at higher (highway) speeds, though the tightness at lower speeds really throws me off, especially when driving or taking turns with one hand.

Come to think of it, even the accelerator pedal feels like it has a bit more resistance, too..I wonder if this was to counterbalance the increase in power (which is certainly noticeable)?

In any event, I'm tempted to reach out to Tesla service, if only to make them aware of this "issue."