Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering stiffer after 2019.36.1.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed noticeably stiffer steering since updating to 2019.36.1.2?

I updated my Sep 2019 LR/AWD Model 3 yesterday, only to immediately notice stiffer steering across all three steering types (Comfort, Standard, Sporty). Comfort now feels like what was once Standard, Standard feels like Sporty, and Sporty is...sportier (??).

All driving modes (Creep, Roll, Hold) are equally affected by this...though my guess is that these are unrelated to the stiffness, anyway.

This is driving me nuts, as I prefer Comfort steering (or rather, what it once was...)

I noticed it as well. I like it.

It's part of the range improvement. Less power steering assist means less power consumed, therefore more range.

Just kidding, I don't know if that's true, but just thinking out loud.

I think I agree that it can feel good at higher (highway) speeds, though the tightness at lower speeds really throws me off, especially when driving or taking turns with one hand.

Come to think of it, even the accelerator pedal feels like it has a bit more resistance, too..I wonder if this was to counterbalance the increase in power (which is certainly noticeable)?

In any event, I'm tempted to reach out to Tesla service, if only to make them aware of this "issue."