Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering suddenly off kilter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out driving today and I noticed the wheel was pretty far turned left while I was going straight. So I pulled out SMT and it's 12 degrees to the left while going straight.
I had an alignment like a month ago and it was perfect 0 degrees to go straight then today I notice this *sugar*.
Any ideas what could be the issue or where to check to see if there is a visual issue?

It's possible it has slowly gotten off over a month but that is still insane I'm more inclined to believe it happened today because it's pretty crooked and I feel like I'd of noticed it sooner if it wasn't today. But I didn't do anything today, I mean there is a speed bump but it's a gentle one and I've been driving over it for like 3 years now without issue so I don't think that's it 🤷‍♂️🤔

If the car is pulling in either direction i wouldn't take it anywhere but to the shop
Thanks for not being helpful 🤦‍♂️
if I wanted the SC opinion and to throw money at a problem that is what I would do. Also they are 2.5 hours each way Clearly since I'm not doing that because it's stupid and there is likely something simple that has caused am issue.

I don't have the time right now to put the car on the lift and inspect it to attempt to diag it myself which is why I am asking people for ideas that I can check as I get time to investigate. Which is the whole point of forums. "Take it to the shop" is the kind of crap I'd expect to see on a FB group 🤦‍♂️😂

Thanks for not being helpful 🤦‍♂️
if I wanted the SC opinion and to throw money at a problem that is what I would do. Also they are 2.5 hours each way Clearly since I'm not doing that because it's stupid and there is likely something simple that has caused am issue.

I don't have the time right now to put the car on the lift and inspect it to attempt to diag it myself which is why I am asking people for ideas that I can check as I get time to investigate. Which is the whole point of forums. "Take it to the shop" is the kind of crap I'd expect to see on a FB group 🤦‍♂️😂
In that case...........
You have 2 worn tie rods, your steering rack needs new mounting bolts and your low on blinker fluid.

My point was that if the car is pulling to either direction and you continue to drive it, you will prematurely wear your tires. Or worst case scenario is you break a ball joint and the tire goes thru your fender. Asking for specific help on diagnosing a mechanical failure online is a tricky thing to do. I could name off 15 things IT COULD BE, but it might not be any of them...✌️

Sounds like it’s just badly out of alignment.
Doesn’t have to be a speed bump that causes that.
big pot hole, some car washes have the track system that can tug your alignment out, pot hole at highway speeds, who knows. My money is not on a quick and easy DIY solution.
Alignments are fairly cheap. You may have a distance to travel, but sounds like you may have to go for it.

Nah, the problem is that special hardened gum they use in the steering column which goes soft in a crash, has prematurely failed. Or it could be one of your tires has gone queer and is trying to get to the other one.

(Now, where the heck is my slingshot for that enervating bird?)