Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering too sensitive - 2021 Model 3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope Tesla will push out an update giving us speed sensitive steering.

What you are asking is physically impossible. Sounds like you're asking for a rack which changes the ratio based on speed. As Elon noted, that requires a very complex setup. It's been done by several manufacturers, notably Audi and BMW, and with less than stellar results. It's largely been abandoned as automakers have turned to rear steer to add extra yaw moment when desired. That requires a completely different, complex, setup in the steering (usually on the shaft). Not something you can push an OTA.

All the steering settings do is change the weight of the steering, by varying the amount of steering assist. The sportier you go, the less assist, the more weight in the steering. And, if I am correct, it does already change with speed.

Tesla has engineered the car with very direct, very quick ratio steering. For one I like it.

No, that will never happen because the Tesla steering is physicality connected via a belt, it's not drive by wire.

What people on this thread are describing is, and the only thing you can adjust, is how hard it is to turn the wheel NOT how much the wheel turns per cm of wheel movement (sensitivity). That won't change until they move to drive by wire steering.

It's definitely not connected by a belt. The power assist motor is. But the steering shaft connects to a rack, physically.

Reactions: gearchruncher
What you are asking is physically impossible. Sounds like you're asking for a rack which changes the ratio based on speed. As Elon noted, that requires a very complex setup. It's been done by several manufacturers, notably Audi and BMW, and with less than stellar results. It's largely been abandoned as automakers have turned to rear steer to add extra yaw moment when desired. That requires a completely different, complex, setup in the steering (usually on the shaft). Not something you can push an OTA.

All the steering settings do is change the weight of the steering, by varying the amount of steering assist. The sportier you go, the less assist, the more weight in the steering. And, if I am correct, it does already change with speed.

Tesla has engineered the car with very direct, very quick ratio steering. For one I like it.
And if you want to really improve steering feel, get the MPP front lower control arm bushing. Even my wife can tell the difference in the steering feel between my car and her car. And no increase in nvh.

Reactions: MountainPass
While quicker steering rack upgrades are available for other cars by way of replacing pinions, I am not sure it is doable for this one. I agree that it could be a little slower, at least on-center. It makes the car a bit difficult to countersteer accurately when you're going really fast.