Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering too sensitive - 2021 Model 3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, reviving an old thread. I thought that would be preferred over starting a new one. My M3P steering is way too sensitive, in any mode. It's fine on surface streets, but if I am driving on the freeway at 80+, any tiny movement on the wheel makes the car jerk which is unnerving and I feel somewhat dangerous. You'd think Tesla would have some sort of speed sensitivity setting, but it doesn't (unless I am mistaken). I was driving today at about 80 and moved to the left a bit bc I thought the car next to me was drifting over into my lane. My car jerked to the left and I'll bet the people behind me were like "wtf is wrong with this guy?" bc I'm sure my suspension loaded/unloaded like crazy. This specifically was in comfort mode. I guess I can try it, but does sport mode have some sort of speed sensitive steering?

Compared to the wonderfully nimble steering of my Lexus IS250 or the somewhat nimble response of my R53 Mini Cooper S, I find the Model 3 steering to be adequately sensitive but not exactly "sporty".

It does seem to do some sort of electronic center-weighting though. I find that "sport" mode gives it an overly strong centering force at high speeds while not really changing anything else. Similarly, "comfort" mode makes it a little too loose at high speeds but has little effect on actual turning feel. I've found both modes to be slightly unpleasant and neither seems to do anything like I'd expect them to but "normal" mode is fine.

I used to use sport mode bc I actually felt like the heavier steering wheel helped me with the whole sensitivity problem, but again, still not like I am used to (coming from a C63 AMG). I guess I should just keep it in sport. I hope Tesla will push out an update giving us speed sensitive steering.

Yes, reviving an old thread. I thought that would be preferred over starting a new one. My M3P steering is way too sensitive, in any mode. It's fine on surface streets, but if I am driving on the freeway at 80+, any tiny movement on the wheel makes the car jerk which is unnerving and I feel somewhat dangerous. You'd think Tesla would have some sort of speed sensitivity setting, but it doesn't (unless I am mistaken). I was driving today at about 80 and moved to the left a bit bc I thought the car next to me was drifting over into my lane. My car jerked to the left and I'll bet the people behind me were like "wtf is wrong with this guy?" bc I'm sure my suspension loaded/unloaded like crazy. This specifically was in comfort mode. I guess I can try it, but does sport mode have some sort of speed sensitive steering?
I suspect you've got significant tow out on the front end. Steering modes only vary the amount of weight in the steering and not its apparent sensitivity. That's an alignment issue.

I actually had the car realigned a day after I got it bc the toe was off (as I had suspected). I am having my car lowered in the coming weeks and of course will have it aligned again after. Will see if it feels any different.
Are you getting coilovers or just lowering springs? Check out Mountain Pass Performance front lower control arm bushing - as Jesse at MPP says it makes the steering "almost telepathic". A little bit more weight, but great feedback.

I also think perhaps the stretched tires are causing some tramlining, which is making things worse. I plan to get 255 or 245 MPS4S when the time comes. Despite my complaining, I rarely drive on the freeway. In fact, I rarely drive period. Just my current situation.

Reactions: dfwatt
I also think perhaps the stretched tires are causing some tramlining, which is making things worse. I plan to get 255 or 245 MPS4S when the time comes. Despite my complaining, I rarely drive on the freeway. In fact, I rarely drive period. Just my current situation.
Technically speaking tires on your car are not stretched although they may look like it. Stretched means that the rim width actually exceeds the sidewall section width. In this case they're about the same size. And stretching tires doesn't cause tramlining unless it's really extreme. The bigger problem with the rims is their weight. They are really heavy. This does nothing for ride . . . or handling. When your budget allows it you will appreciate the transformation of ride and handling by getting lightweight forged wheels and dropping 8 plus pounds a corner. And if your budget allows it or when the stock P Zeros wear out, get the Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4S. Way better Tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
Technically speaking tires on your car are not stretched although they may look like it. Stretched means that the rim width actually exceeds the sidewall section width. In this case they're about the same size. And stretching tires doesn't cause tramlining unless it's really extreme. The bigger problem with the rims is their weight. They are really heavy. This does nothing for ride . . . or handling. When your budget allows it you will appreciate the transformation of ride and handling by getting lightweight forged wheels and dropping 8 plus pounds a corner. And if your budget allows it or when the stock P Zeros wear out, get the Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4S. Way better Tire.
I think the T0 PS4S only comes in 235 and 265, right?

I think the T0 PS4S only comes in 235 and 265, right?
235/35 and a 275 / 30. That's what we have as the tire compliment on my wife's car. I have a 265/30 front to go with the 275/30 Tesla spec rear. Wanted minimally staggered to reduce understeer but still like the staggered look. What was surprising was that I ended up with a car that dynamically if anything is very slightly oversteering.

Last edited:

I have the steering on my Model 3 (LR RWD) set to "sport," and though I would not call it "sporty" at all, I like it for normal and highway driving. Normally I use EAP on the highway but sometimes when there's a lot of traffic and it's all moving faster than 5 mph over the limit I do the driving so as not to be "that guy" who holds everybody back.

Reactions: m a x i m u s
Yes, reviving an old thread. I thought that would be preferred over starting a new one

(moderator note: Since the thread you revived was 2 years old, with who knows what changes from tesla on the vehicle, I felt it was better as a new thread, talking about your 2021 Model 3P instead of 2018-2019 Model 3s.)

Reactions: m a x i m u s
235/35 and a 275 / 30. That's what we have as the tire compliment on my wife's car. I have a 265/30 front to go with the 275/30 Tesla spec rear. Wanted minimally staggered to reduce understeer but still like the staggered look. What was surprising was that I ended up with a car that dynamically if anything is very slightly oversteering.
I wonder it those sizes will fit without rubbing on my 2021P (well, I guess the 275 rear). If so, that would be cool as I like staggered.

I assume your wife’s car is a Model 3. What year, trim level, and wheels?

No, that will never happen because the Tesla steering is physicality connected via a belt, it's not drive by wire.

What people on this thread are describing is, and the only thing you can adjust, is how hard it is to turn the wheel NOT how much the wheel turns per cm of wheel movement (sensitivity). That won't change until they move to drive by wire steering.

• Informative
Reactions: daniel
The M3P steering ratio is probably too quick for it’s own good since it’s also devoid of any feel.

Heck no, the M3 steering is amazing. (and before more people hop on and say it is not, then start talking about suspension and handling, i said STEERING is amazing, not HANDLING - just because of the incessant need for people to be as precise as possible as if we are German engineers attempting to discuss policies for the practical physicists team performing upgrades on the large hadron collider)

Reactions: Josie67