Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering vibration when changing lanes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I got my MYP in June, and since I've gotten it I've experienced intermittent spurts of vibration in my steering wheel when I change lanes, where the steering wheel needs to move very little. This happens regardless of what speed I'm driving at. It does not always happen, but happens with enough frequency. Already had SC check alignment which is fine, and this happens with both the factory set of wheels and tires, as well as the new set I just put on yesterday. Initially I thought maybe it was the lane markers I'm driving over, but this happens over painted lines also. I also wondered if the car thinks I'm doing a lane departure and it is trying to warn me, but I can't see where that setting would be and I don't have any turned on.

Any thoughts? I really don't want to schedule another SC visit because they always seem to "hurt" my car a little every time I bring it in, LoL.

Would this be the same as Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance? This is actually on as of right now. I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that this is applicable only when Autopilot is activated...
Nah, its on if you enable it. I find it annoying cuz if you don't lead with the blinker before it will resist lane changes. And like I don't always remember to do so so I end up fighting it. But the wife likes it so lol, it stays.

Nah, its on if you enable it. I find it annoying cuz if you don't lead with the blinker before it will resist lane changes. And like I don't always remember to do so so I end up fighting it. But the wife likes it so lol, it stays.
Well if it "fights" it is certainly not fighting very hard, LoL. I know whilst on the highway and I have autopilot activated, I must use turn signal or it will fight the lane change, but did not realize it would "warn" me with vibration when I am driving on city streets and when autopilot is not activated...

Please use your turn signals! If it vibrates to warn you, you didn't signal. :)

Note there are two levels of it, one is just a vibration warning which this sounds like. There is another setting where it will actively resist the lane departure if you didn't signal. I don't like that one because I might be attempting an emergency maneuver and it could throw that off. I do like the vibration warning. It doesn't interfere at all in an emergency situation, yet it's still useful if I am accidentally drifting out of my lane.

Please use your turn signals! If it vibrates to warn you, you didn't signal. :)

Note there are two levels of it, one is just a vibration warning which this sounds like. There is another setting where it will actively resist the lane departure if you didn't signal. I don't like that one because I might be attempting an emergency maneuver and it could throw that off. I do like the vibration warning though. It won't interfere at all in an emergency situation, yet still useful if I am accidentally drifting out of my lane.
I will test this today. If it still vibrates even after I signal, I'll report back. I may have to test both the temporary signal vs. the full signal also...

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 1.05.25 PM.png

Reactions: PeteOC
Hello all,

I got my MYP in June, and since I've gotten it I've experienced intermittent spurts of vibration in my steering wheel when I change lanes, where the steering wheel needs to move very little. This happens regardless of what speed I'm driving at. It does not always happen, but happens with enough frequency. Already had SC check alignment which is fine, and this happens with both the factory set of wheels and tires, as well as the new set I just put on yesterday. Initially I thought maybe it was the lane markers I'm driving over, but this happens over painted lines also. I also wondered if the car thinks I'm doing a lane departure and it is trying to warn me, but I can't see where that setting would be and I don't have any turned on.

Any thoughts? I really don't want to schedule another SC visit because they always seem to "hurt" my car a little every time I bring it in, LoL.
I got my MYLR in March and have been experiencing the same thing. I took it to the SC. They said it was a balancing issue and re-balanced the tires. It did not fix it. On the way home from the SC, it happened multiple times.

@bsboll Do you use your turn signals before crossing a painted line? (If not please do!)

If not, sure sounds like the Lane Departure Warning (LDW) buzz. It's in the settings somewhere, I think under Autopilot.

Though I would expect a Tesla service center to be able to figure this out for you, if that's it!

Reactions: iamnid