TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Steering Wheel: Alcantara wrapped for Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by polything, Apr 23, 2015.

1. polything

polything Member

who has done it? can you please post pictures? i do not like the leather wrap steering wheel at all.

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

But surely alcantara would look terrible after not very much time with hands gripping it. I'm going to guess that after much less than 10K miles, it would look like a leather wheel after 150K miles.

3. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

I have seen carbon fiber, and glossy black but never alcantara.

4. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

5. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

I have had alcantara covered steering-wheels for a long time and never had problems with the material. I do not know if other microfibre manufacturers have the problem that you are talking about. here is a picture of my new wheel which is a core-exchange from unplugged performance:

image1.jpg

6. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

Tesla offers a non leather steering wheel option, you just have to ask for it...

7. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

that's interesting....... I asked to order a separate steering wheel with this option and was tiled it was not possible...... I guess different policies for different regions or customers. :crying:

8. aus

aus Member

It's pretty easy to clean Alcantara. There are plenty of vids on YouTube. If you try to wash your hands before driving, you can go many months between 20 minute cleans.

9. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

OK - I certainly haven't any experience in handling, so to speak, Alcantara so I will defer to your collective knowledge. From its appearance on the trim of my car, I would not have thought it something that stands up to the kind of wear a steering wheel gets.