Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel alignment alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 2021 M3LRAWD to Goodyear to have tires rotated and alignment checked. Goodyear charged me $100 for alignment check. On the way home, there was an alert recommending service due to steering wheel alignment issue. Upon contacting Tesla, was told I would be responsible for any charges and provided with a $300 estimate for a proposed four wheel alignment check and adjustment. I am confused as to why Tesla SC needs to repeat the alignment check and why on earth does it cost $300? Is there anything Good year can do to fix it? Perhaps a sensor to be reset (like TPMS sensor reset after setting tire pressure)? Trying to figure out my options here. Appreciate any input.

Oh right my post wasn't quite complete. GY did an alignment check and found it was out of alignment. Charged me $100 to fix it. Not sure why that would cause steering wheel to be crooked. A
Because they created an even bigger offset so much that it created a big enough gap that the sensors detected errors. FYI, you have to reset the steering angle offset or at least address it post alignment. It helps to have a shop that understands this. Check/google your service menu and reset the steering offset.

Reactions: ken_neth
Upvote 0
Oh right my post wasn't quite complete. GY found the car was out of alignment and charged me $100 to fix it. Not sure why that would cause steering wheel alignment alert. As for the steering wheel being crooked, does not appear so to me. I am happy to take it back to GY but uncertain if they would be able to fix it. Do similar issues crop up with ICE cars?

Upvote 0
There is a distinction between checking the alignment and setting the alignment. It would seem the Goodyear didn't reset your steering angle sensor after completing the alignment. It's interesting that Tesla seems to compared indicated to actual steering angle and will throw an error if there is too big a difference.

Why do you need to perform a steering angle sensor reset?
Since vehicles equipped with ESC, Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) such as Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB), and other safety features, rely on accurate from the SAS, it is now necessary to reset them after performing a wheel alignment or replacing a component that can alter the toe and thrust angle. This will ensure these systems know exactly how the vehicle is traveling down the road in order to both predict, and make, the necessary safety corrections. If the SAS is out of calibration, and the angle is too far off, then the vehicle’s stability system will not function correctly, and ultimately will be disabled.

I'm assuming the car needs to be on the alignment rack and properly positioned when you reset it. It can be done now in Service Mode.

I don't think it is a do it yourself job unless you are doing a the alignment at home as well. (Not for the faint of heart, but possible.)

• Informative
Reactions: android04 and KenC
Upvote 0
I've been doing and updating my alignment method to point where I it is pretty darn accurate. It's not as difficult or complicated as one would think.

IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG

Upvote 0