Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

steering wheel and display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Currently have a 2013 Model S. Test Drove a Y and 3 today. Really didn't like how the speedometer is in the center of the car. Tesla talks about reducing variation and parts - it would make sense to make the 3/Y similar to the updated S/X?

Any thoughts on if the 3/Y will get a steering wheel screen? (Not sure if this is the correct terminology)

Hello,

Currently have a 2013 Model S. Test Drove a Y and 3 today. Really didn't like how the speedometer is in the center of the car. Tesla talks about reducing variation and parts - it would make sense to make the 3/Y similar to the updated S/X?

Any thoughts on if the 3/Y will get a steering wheel screen? (Not sure if this is the correct terminology)

3 and Y are highly unlikely to get the display behind the steering wheel. The wheel on the 3 and Y is a smaller diameter and cause terrible sight lines. Perhaps if Tesla switched to a yoke, but that seems to be a pretty unpopular idea.

There are also aftermarket screens that you can install in your 3 and Y. They’re customizable and display info similar to apps like Scan My Tesla.

Hello,

The entry-level vehicles will not be getting a second screen. They won’t even offer a HUD.

Hello,

No. Elon said 3/Y will not get more than 1 screen.

I love the center screen only. After driving 2 years with it, anything additional isn't necessary to me. New S interior with instrument cluster is nice though.

My Dad had a 2013 and a 2014 Model S. He has driven my car several times and always said idk if I'll get use to not having a screen in front of me, yada yada.

Now, he sold his S and upgraded to a 2020 Model 3. After driving with it for 2 weeks, he says he doesn't miss the screen and is perfectly fine without it. Even Elon said you won't care after driving, and you really don't. It's all good. Gives a clearer unobstructed view of the road in front of you. Very pleasing looking out the windshield.

He'll probably get the refreshed S in a few years though or Cybertruck next year (which will also only have 1 screen, as far as we know)

But I wish the Model 3/Y could get a full sreen mode like the Model S/X when the car is parked, to have the map covering the full screen.

Saw this on twitter

arD6s9e.jpg

You'll get used to peeking at the speed in the center screen in about 2 days. It's not really an issue for me. People complain about it being out of line of site, but normally, when you drive, you're rotating your eyes to the mirrors anyway, so this is just another spot to pass by on the way to the passenger's side mirror. NBD. That said, I do like the refreshed S/X interior but wouldn't change the setup on my MY.

I doubt they will add an instrument cluster screen to the Y/3. Reducing variation of parts is mainly for their 3/Y lines as those are the most popular and intended to be the cars the "affordable" (relatively speaking) models. It makes sense there to share as many parts as possible and increase production output while reducing costs. The S/X and 3/Y are just intended for different demographics. There is some overlap, but mostly those considering a 3/Y would be unwilling or unable to purchase an S/X and those who can afford S/X are less likely to be interested in a 3/Y, preferring instead the higher luxury and performance of an S/X.

It's honestly not a big deal having only the central screen. You don't even notice after a few hours driving time. In fact I now prefer it. I feel like I have a much better view of the road in front of me without distractions when looking forward but the info is available with a quick scan of my surroundings which as a driver I am making constantly anyway.

I'm honestly surprised they kept the instrument cluster display in the new S/X redesign. I would be surprised if it's still there in the next one. But if you really want that display it's time better to upgrade to a newer S or X.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
You'll get used to peeking at the speed in the center screen in about 2 days. It's not really an issue for me.

It's honestly not a big deal having only the central screen. You don't even notice after a few hours driving time. In fact I now prefer it. I feel like I have a much better view of the road in front of me without distractions when looking forward but the info is available with a quick scan of my surroundings which as a driver I am making constantly anyway.

Ditto. It takes almost no time to adjust to, and I'm coming from 30 years of driving experience with every vehicle I've owned having had the speedometer above the steering wheel.

The S/X and 3/Y are just intended for different demographics. There is some overlap, but mostly those considering a 3/Y would be unwilling or unable to purchase an S/X and those who can afford S/X are less likely to be interested in a 3/Y, preferring instead the higher luxury and performance of an S/X. [...] I'm honestly surprised they kept the instrument cluster display in the new S/X redesign. I would be surprised if it's still there in the next one. But if you really want that display it's time better to upgrade to a newer S or X.

Despite the fact that they did further minimalize the refreshed S/X, what they removed made the car seem more advanced (e.g. no more pesky manual drive/reverse selection, lol). I think that at the price point of an S/X, buyers might be less inclined to accept removal of the info screen over the wheel.

Using video images from the FSD cameras, Tesla shows rearview and side-views in the central display.

But honestly who want to turn his/her head on the right, to check the left side-view display, when you want to go to the right lane to pass the car in front of you?

It would make more sense to have a display in front of the driver to show the side-view, as for example the new Ioniq 5 does.

Last edited:
Reactions: hpartsch
The entry-level vehicles will not be getting a second screen. They won’t even offer a HUD.
Ya that's what the advisor said basically, said that is for the luxury cars. My wife comment saying she didn't realize having the speedometer in front of her was a luxury.
Using video images from the FSD cameras, Tesla shows rearview and side-views in the central display.

But honestly who want to turn his/her head on the right, to check the left side-view display, when you want to go to the right lane to pass the car in front of you?

It would make more sense to have a display in front of the driver to show the side-view, as for example the new Ioniq 5 does.
Ya I agree. Seems like this is the safest option.