Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel Audio volume stopped working after latest software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Model X, the Audio volume up and down on the steering wheel stopped working after the latest software update over the weekend. The mute works fine but is not able to increase or decrease the volume. I already did soft resets and power off - still no luck. Anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Billstickers
Running 2021.36.5.1 on my X with MCU2. The left button and wheel stopped working yesterday and the instrument cluster was very slow to respond. After a full power down by pulling the HV safety loop under under hood and pulling the 12V ground and left the car powered off for 5 minutes. After the car did a full reboot it started working again.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
On my Model X, the Audio volume up and down on the steering wheel stopped working after the latest software update over the weekend. The mute works fine but is not able to increase or decrease the volume. I already did soft resets and power off - still no luck. Anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.
I dropped my X off this morning here in Baltimore at Tesla of Owings Mills because of this same issue. This afternoon 4:48 pm they sent a approval invoice of $1288.93 to fix steering volume control on my steering wheel. They must be out their mind. Tesla looking like the good old boys with this one. SMH. I will be doing the power down and negative ground trick to see if that works when I get it back tomorrow.

I dropped my X off this morning here in Baltimore at Tesla of Owings Mills because of this same issue. This afternoon 4:48 pm they sent a approval invoice of $1288.93 to fix steering volume control on my steering wheel. They must be out their mind. Tesla looking like the good old boys with this one. SMH. I will be doing the power down and negative ground trick to see if that works when I get it back tomorrow.
I'm sorry. I must not be reading this correctly. $1300?

When the immersive sound was released, I have clicking when turning the volume up or down....even from the screen control. I am convinced that they do ZERO regression testing across all models. I have been told, wait for a future fix. BTW, this only happens with SIRIUSXM. All other audio sources do not present this problem.

So I just had this happen on the latest update (2022.12.3.1) and am wondering if it's a common issue - all steering wheel controls (both scroll wheels and both up/down buttons) stopped working the same night a software update was pushed to the car, so it can't be just a coincidence.
What's frustrating is I can't even do a press-both-scroll-wheels-reset because the scroll wheels aren't working (seems this feature should be at more of a hardware level to account for times like this where the software is not behaving).

I learned a trick a while back that has saved me on several occasions related to funky software issues on my Tesla Model S that would not be resolved by rebooting the car either via the steering column or power reset from the control console.

Following a software update, Spotify channels stopped working but Slacker channels worked just fine

All was fine before the update and I knew that this was caused either directly or indirectly by the update. Tesla had no idea and all I could do was open a trouble ticket and hope and pray being frustrated that I knew it was a software issue and waiting the next release.

I read that resetting the tire size configuration causes a much lower level software reset and fixed many many strange software related issues not fixed by regular reboots. I went to the console - service - wheel configuration - reset from 19-21 inches and a reboot occurred. Once the car was back online. voila....Spotify began to work as usual for the first time in weeks. I again reset wheel configuration to 19 inches and rebooted all was back to normal.

This week I updated to version 2022.12.3.16 and immediately after I was back online, my steering wheel controls became unresponsive or working intermittently at best. Rebooting did nothing and Tesla wanted to get the car for service and order a control part for the steering console. I advised this was a result of the software update but they wanted me to schedule service and replace the module. I decided to try the resize wheel configuration trick and again voila....the controls came back and all is well again.

Keep this trick in your pocket as it is a life saver

rick

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Yup

Someone finally added this to the first post at

I am having the same issue with my model S with the volume and song advancement not working fron the steering wheel