Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Bubbling From Heat - Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me. Important notice:
1. If you ask during the service they might very well cover, as this is a common issue.
2. the Tesla ranger who came to replace said that they are about to introduce a new steering wheel which prevents the bubbling/blistering issue. It might take up to a year until it comes out so you might want to delay the “in warranty” replacement. I couldn’t because mine was in bad shape).

As much as I don't want to assist with resurrecting an old thread... I can't help but notice that all of these defective wheels are shiny. Which means they are not clean.

Oils cause this "vegan leather" material to deteriorate and bubble. Tesla doesn't cover it when the headrests bubble either, because it's from chemicals/grease on your hair. Headrests that are kept meticulously clean do not bubble. Same with the wheels. The wheel in Post #5 shows an extremely dirty wheel. It looks like a 10 year old rental car!

Keeping your steering wheel clean should prevent this. It should be matte, not glossy black. Even wiping it clean once a month with basic interior cleaner should keep the hand oils/lotion at bay.

And yes, normal leather wheels won't bubble even if they're dirty. But here we are... no choice these days. Toyota Softex-leather doesn't do this I imagine either, it's definitely a Tesla design flaw. But some of these wheels are nasty!

As much as I don't want to assist with resurrecting an old thread... I can't help but notice that all of these defective wheels are shiny. Which means they are not clean.

Oils cause this "vegan leather" material to deteriorate and bubble. Tesla doesn't cover it when the headrests bubble either, because it's from chemicals/grease on your hair. Headrests that are kept meticulously clean do not bubble. Same with the wheels. The wheel in Post #5 shows an extremely dirty wheel. It looks like a 10 year old rental car!

Keeping your steering wheel clean should prevent this. It should be matte, not glossy black. Even wiping it clean once a month with basic interior cleaner should keep the hand oils/lotion at bay.

And yes, normal leather wheels won't bubble even if they're dirty. But here we are... no choice these days. Toyota Softex-leather doesn't do this I imagine either, it's definitely a Tesla design flaw. But some of these wheels are nasty!
You could well have a point there. My car is usually kept under shade when parked or I use a windscreen shade. I clean M3 steering wheel every week sometimes twice. It was only after picking up my car from the panel beaters that I noticed the bubble closest to the left thumb scroll. They could well have had some chemicals on their hands/gloves when moving the car about the shop.
This really should be classed as a defect.

I was at 3.5 years (2020 M3 lr)38k miles a month or two ago and had some camera issues, I told them that my steering wheel was bubbling, he stated they'd look, no promises, when he showed up, he looked and Said I got you and replaced the steering wheel under warranty. it's obviously the same type of unit. I'll be getting a cover. I use cabin overheat too and it's garaged. 1500 bucks is too expensive.

Interesting: I've never cleaned my steering wheel, in 47k miles, almost 3 years. It's still as smooth as it was when new.
ew-gross.gif

• Funny
Reactions: fiehlsport
Well, here you go. 48k miles, 34 months of ownership. I really scrubbed it, water and microfiber.

If my steering wheel starts to bubble, now that I've removed all my natural body oil, I'm coming after you, fiehlsport!!!!!

Attachments

• teslasteeringwheel.jpg
    teslasteeringwheel.jpg
    962.3 KB · Views: 53
Did any of you have Cabin Overheat Protection activated?
The history of this “feature” is that it was introduced to help keep the MCU and the display from heat damage. Seems like it may help with interior components too

doesn't seem so according to the manual. unfortunately bubbling would be considered cosmetic damage.

Cabin Overheat Protection​

Cabin Overheat Protection prevents the cabin from getting too hot in scorching ambient conditions. While not necessary to activate whenever you leave Model 3, the climate control system can reduce and maintain the temperature of your vehicle’s cabin. This can prevent the cabin from getting too hot after leaving it parked in the sun, making the vehicle more comfortable when you return. Cabin Overheat Protection may take up to 15 minutes to enable once you exit the vehicle. This feature is intended for passenger comfort and has no impact on the reliability of your vehicle's components.

it's historical and obvious based on chronology of events, being released right when the MCU's started melting (actually the glue in the MCU), back then, Tesla was covering the issue under warranty. Can't believe everything you Tesla tells you.

• Informative
Reactions: sidewinder