Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Bubbling From Heat - Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed a strange texture feel to the backside top of my steering wheel a few days ago and finally thought to take a picture of it.... Looks like heat is causing the vegan leather to bubble, what are thoughts on if
it should be covered under warranty?

PXL_20220621_124508943.jpg

I had 2 bubbles, one on each side of the steering wheel next to scroll wheels. Was a bit annoyed about it. Went to take care of some rattles (not fixed) but got the steering wheel replaced under warranty at 18k.
It also fixed my other issue, the horn would work only if you press it on top. With new wheel it works anywhere you press it.

Reactions: Cavity
I had 2 bubbles, one on each side of the steering wheel next to scroll wheels. Was a bit annoyed about it. Went to take care of some rattles (not fixed) but got the steering wheel replaced under warranty at 18k.
It also fixed my other issue, the horn would work only if you press it on top. With new wheel it works anywhere you press it.
I do have the same horn issue, but never thought of it as a defect... I'll add that into the service ticket also.

They are giving me a hard time in the service appointment messages saying it's not covered under warranty and will cost 1k to replace the steering wheel. Appointment is not until August so we'll see what happens.

Did any of you have Cabin Overheat Protection activated?
The history of this “feature” is that it was introduced to help keep the MCU and the display from heat damage. Seems like it may help with interior components too
Yes, since day one have Overheat protection on. Not sure of that helps when sun hits the black wheel.
Also mine sits in the garage most of the time. When I park outside I put windshield cover.

This just happened to me like a month ago that south Florida heat and 3k miles out of warranty and just got quote by Tesla Service over 1.5k smh , gonna get a steering wheel cover for now

View attachment 845834

View attachment 845837
Go with an aftermarket steering wheel, which they use Tesla oem wheel base anyway for about $500-$700 ish.

Last edited:
Yes, I have cabin protection on always as well!

How could an upholstery shop help? How would I get the wheel to them?

Got same $1500 quote from Tesla!!

Any recommended covers? This sucks
I got this one. Expensive but I like it way more then stuff I bought before.
Covercraft UVS100 Custom Sunscreen | UV11707SV | Compatible with Select Tesla Model Y Models, Silver https://a.co/d/9gEOLpj

Upholstery shop can take vegan leather off the wheel and replace it with real leather that will not bubble on the wheel.
Depends on the shop but $500 would be a high quote.
You can take wheel off yourself, plenty of videos on how to and either ship to them or drop it off. Or you can just drive there and they will do the whole thing themselves.
There are also aftermarket steering wheels but some more expensive then what Tesla quoted you.

I got this one. Expensive but I like it way more then stuff I bought before.
Covercraft UVS100 Custom Sunscreen | UV11707SV | Compatible with Select Tesla Model Y Models, Silver https://a.co/d/9gEOLpj

Upholstery shop can take vegan leather off the wheel and replace it with real leather that will not bubble on the wheel.
Depends on the shop but $500 would be a high quote.
You can take wheel off yourself, plenty of videos on how to and either ship to them or drop it off. Or you can just drive there and they will do the whole thing themselves.
There are also aftermarket steering wheels but some more expensive then what Tesla quoted you.
Is that the culprit, that’s it vegan leather?