TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering wheel buttons+scrollers not working

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by EVChris, Jul 4, 2018.

1. EVChris

EVChris Member

#1 EVChris, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    The left and right steering wheel buttons and scrollers are not working.
    Horn isn't working either. Stalk controls work.

This includes many things but also means I can't reboot the UI with the two finger salute.
    So I did a deep reboot by powering down: Vehicle Power -> Power Off.
    This rebooted the car (everything) but it didn't fix the problem.

I'll take it in for service but has anyone experienced anything similar?

2015 S 85 (AP1+MCU1)
    Software: 2018.21.9

C

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

That sounds more like a wiring issue with the steering wheel when all those controls don’t work and a reboot won’t fix it. (Or whatever module controls the steering wheel functions!)

Let us know what it was, new one on me!

3. EVChris

EVChris Member

Will do. I just booked the service appointment.

4. EVChris

EVChris Member

I took my S in for service at Fremont Service. There were four related symptoms:
    1. scrollers didn't work
    2. horn didn't work
    3. airbag warning on
    4. the steering wheel creaked when turning while driving
    I took the S out for a test ride with a service tech. He said he immediately recognized the problem but he wanted to get a recording of the creak for the engineers. The noise was easy to replicate on the drive. So far so good. Bad news was the replacement steering wheel subsystem would take 2 weeks to arrive and I had to leave my car since it was a safety issue. Good news was that I got an AP2 S loaner.

Seems odd that it would take 2 weeks at Fremont Service. Maybe I should count myself lucky it wasn't Peoria Service.

5. EVChris

EVChris Member

Well, Fremont Service called back a day later and said it was finished. It was just a steering column module swap and the part was available locally. I really didn't think it would take 2 weeks and it didn't.

I picked up my S today, washed and with a wheel balance thrown in. All the symptoms are gone.