Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel buttons+scrollers not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the same issues repeatedly with my 2017 MS P100D. Both scroll wheels, all 4 buttons and the horn stop working for no apparent reason. Prior to the failures, they intermittently fail only to work the next day before permanent failure. My local SC has already replaced the steering wheel control module (containing the stalks-turn signals etc), and the wiring harness (containing the scroll wheels) several times only to have them fail again. The repairs used to fix the problem for aprox 6 months but now failures happen again after only one month! My car is now out of warranty and I am reluctant to let them repair it again (for a cost of aprox $500) not knowing if it will indeed solve the problem permanently. I do need my horn though, especially in parking lots.
Has anyone already having their repairs done had any more trouble with their scroll wheels, buttons, or their horn not working? If your problems have been permanently solved, would you please post (or have your Tesla Tech post) EXACTLY what the solution was to permanently fix this issue. My local SC claims that my car is the only one in this area (N. ILLinois) that is having this problem and that Tesla HQ is not aware of it. Thank you
Mine stopped working twice within 2 weeks. The Tesla Tech just put on a new steering wheel today. I'm not sure if this will solve the problem yet. They say its because the wires become worn out over time. That doesn't sound legit to me.

'My local SC claims that my car is the only one in this area (N. ILLinois) that is having this problem and that Tesla HQ is not aware of it."

Thats what they said each time i brought mine in, they have now gone out a 5th time and I will replace myself. I doubt anyone is going to spend time running this issue to ground as it seems to be limited to the early refresh cars (november 2016 to mid/late 2018

Attachments

• 1638464413867.png
    1638464413867.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 494
I had the same problem in my 2020 MS LR+. After five failures of the switches on the right side of the steering wheel in less than one year, I told the SC that if they did not do a root cause analysis and fix the problem, I would request a repair again immediately upon picking up the car. Although this seems snarky, each failure occurred within 2 weeks of the repair, and I usually had to wait a month for a slot for repairs. This threat worked. The Norwell MA SC added extra insulation to the inside of the switch assembly, and now 6 weeks later it still works fine. Sometimes it helps to be a little pushy.

Reactions: Altes
I just had this failure for the first time on my 2017 Model X 100D 94K miles. Scrolls wheels and horn don't work and I also had a triangle symbol driving visualization limited message which seemed not valid. Changing the language temporarily or the tire config temporarily rebooted the car. This got rid of the triangle symbol message but not the scroll wheel and horn problem. I've had the scroll wheels occasionally fail for a drive over the years but never the horn stop as far as I know. I will be reaching out to service.

I have a similar issue but somewhat different. The right scroll wheel works fine, but both button (voice sec and selector) are unresponsive. The horn is fine. On the left side, the buttons are ok and the wheel seems to work except for silencing the musique with a press-hold...
Pretty inconsistent behavior.

My right and left scroll wheels are not working as before. Can not a adjust volume. Can not change the screen info. Can not show phone numbers. The last version removed functions from the scroll wheels. And other steering wheel controls. FSD is not available on my 2014 Model S.

17 MX and just had mine replaced. Stopped working after a software update but SC said it was bc the modules went out - still not totally convinced it wasn't the update. Had it happen a few times leading up and a hard reboot fixed it. This time it would not. Cost was $220 + labor.

2016 MS 75 just had a total fail of all controls including horn. I could only do a “car off hard reset”; as any method involving scroll wheels or buttons was non-responsive. Still dead as a doornail. Does anyone know if the air bag is also affected? Seems like a safety issue based on having no horn.

I have replacement planned at SC under warranty next week. The quote says "Steering control switch harness (1013242-00-K)".

Not related but they are also replacing my SIM card, not sure why but will ask when I get there.

The left volume control wheel on my 2015 S detached and sank in. I can still use it for on/off and I can use the Tesla app to control volume. As Miracle Max would say, mostly dead is still slightly alive.
  • is that failure reparable or is the part only replaceable?
  • the part (1013242-99-I) is $125 on EBay. Have there been any improved parts I should look for? That's the case with the door handle assembly.
  • The individual switch rather than both switches and wire harness is available from parts people for $35. Is that a viable approach?
If replacement is necessary, Tesla supposedly charges $220 parts plus labor in the US for this repair. So I may source the part and have Luscious in SF do the replacement.

Last edited:
quite the bullsh-t mine have 4 failures 3 under warranty and the 4th was $400.

The left volume control wheel on my 2015 S detached and sank in. I can still use it for on/off and I can use the Tesla app to control volume. As Miracle Max would say, mostly dead is still slightly alive.
  • is that failure reparable or is the part only replaceable?
  • the part (1013242-99-I) is $125 on EBay. Have there been any improved parts I should look for? That's the case with the door handle assembly.
  • The individual switch rather than both switches and wire harness is available from parts people for $35. Is that a viable approach?
If replacement is necessary, Tesla supposedly charges $220 parts plus labor in the US for this repair. So I may source the part and have Luscious in SF do the replacement.
This topic came up before but I finally dropped off for service on mine:
Hitting the voice command buttons or steering wheel buttons (volume control, etc.) + insanely slow re-routing, etc. led me to push for my VCM/eMMC recall fix. When I initially reported it over a year ago, the SC tried to claim my steering wheel controls, etc. were bad and needed to be replaced. Logically that didn't make sense because the buttons activated super quick, the computer just didn't process the actions - Same for volume control, the screen showed the volume changing without hesitation 4,5,6,7, etc. However after I stopped, the screen would go out and the volume didn't actually change. That doesn't sound like the command isn't being received by a bad wheel, it sounds like the computer is ignoring the request.

Example, Voice command: "Navigate to Wegmans." - Screen: ----- Timeout. Hit VC again and without saying a word, the dash would show every word I said on the previous button push, "Navigate to Wegmans" was already there. Sometimes it would then go to the Nav, others it might take yet another button push. None of that sounds like, "Your buttons aren't working" it sounds more like memory full/error.

Yesterday dropped off, they replaced the VCM/eMMC but also added "New Steering wheel buttons and harness" to the estimate for $415. I stated the above, and said if you can explain that hardware fixing an apparent software logic problem, call me back to get the estimate approved. Instead, an hour later, my truck is ready for pickup. $0 and the ticket says everything is now in good working order, no steering wheel buttons/harness necessary. That sounds pretty bogus to me. Will pickup tomorrow and check.