Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel buttons+scrollers not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The left and right steering wheel buttons and scrollers are not working.
Horn isn't working either. Stalk controls work.

This includes many things but also means I can't reboot the UI with the two finger salute.
So I did a deep reboot by powering down: Vehicle Power -> Power Off.
This rebooted the car (everything) but it didn't fix the problem.

I'll take it in for service but has anyone experienced anything similar?

2015 S 85 (AP1+MCU1)
Software: 2018.21.9

C

Last edited:
I took my S in for service at Fremont Service. There were four related symptoms:
  1. scrollers didn't work
  2. horn didn't work
  3. airbag warning on
  4. the steering wheel creaked when turning while driving
I took the S out for a test ride with a service tech. He said he immediately recognized the problem but he wanted to get a recording of the creak for the engineers. The noise was easy to replicate on the drive. So far so good. Bad news was the replacement steering wheel subsystem would take 2 weeks to arrive and I had to leave my car since it was a safety issue. Good news was that I got an AP2 S loaner.

Seems odd that it would take 2 weeks at Fremont Service. Maybe I should count myself lucky it wasn't Peoria Service.

Well, Fremont Service called back a day later and said it was finished. It was just a steering column module swap and the part was available locally. I really didn't think it would take 2 weeks and it didn't.

I picked up my S today, washed and with a wheel balance thrown in. All the symptoms are gone.

My steering wheel buttons and scroll wheels stopped working yesterday. I had an "Alert" message pop up that I had not seen before, and it did not go away. This is not exact, but it was ~"View around entire vehicle partially obstructed - auto lane change not available". I looked in a couple of Tesla forums and saw that someone else who had experienced this had wiped off his cameras and that fixed his problem. So, in spite of the fact that my cameras were clean, I got out and wiped them all off. No help.

Just the day before, I had gone to the car to go to an appointment, only to find the large center screen black, and message displayed on small display, "Systems powering up. Press brake when this message goes away". The message did not go away after several minutes, so I pressed the brake pedal several times, message cleared, and it let me put it in gear. Main screen still not working, Bluetooth, and a host of other things not working, including the garage door opener. I had to make it to that appointment (oncologist), so I opened the garage door with the wall switch, pulled out of the garage, went back in, closed the garage door and went out the front door. I had left the driver door open and when I got back in the car, the powering up message was back, and car would not do squat. I repeated pressing the brake multiple times, I was allowed to put car in gear, and off I went, not knowing whether Id make it back home. I found out the turn signals were not working, and the small display was so dim I could not read it most of the time (sunny day). After the appointment, I looked for the problem online. I found none that described my problem, but saw where a guy said he had cleared up a "glitchy" screen by rebooting. To do this held down the steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels simultaneously for a few seconds. Waa laa! Screen came back on and all appeared normal. Then the next day, this new problem.

Well, I tried this reboot trick to try and clear yesterday's problem, after wiping off the cameras. It rebooted, but message was still there. Tried it a second time. This time it did not reboot, and I quickly discovered that none of my steering wheel buttons or scroll wheels were working.They still are not working. I contacted tech support, when I encountered the first problem 2 days ago. Have no update of status, other than "We're looking at it".

I accepted delivery of my Model X this past March, and no glitches until this week. When it rains, it pours...

I ran into the same issue today. None of the buttons on the Steering wheel work after I brought the car back from Service today. Cannot change volume or stations or anything. I am not even able to do a reset of the computer using the scroll wheel reset method. Anyone run into such an issue? I am on v2018.46.2

I have sent an email to Service and they are yet to respond.

I ran into the same issue today. None of the buttons on the Steering wheel work after I brought the car back from Service today. Cannot change volume or stations or anything. I am not even able to do a reset of the computer using the scroll wheel reset method. Anyone run into such an issue? I am on v2018.46.2

I have sent an email to Service and they are yet to respond.
I have the same issue. Had problems with Spotify and received a call from Tesla where they recommended me to switch language on the car. This actually fixed my spotify problem but I got a new problem, steering wheel buttons are not responding, nor the scroll wheels and the horn. I had been using the steering wheel function up to the language change. It could be a coincidence..
Will do a deep powey cycle of the car (5 min) but really don’t have much faith in a positive result.

This includes many things but also means I can't reboot the UI with the two finger salute.

2015 S 85 (AP1+MCU1)

C
same issue for me started yesteday no steering wheel controls or horn. it works partially when you get in the car in the morning but dies as soon as you select a gear

Same thing happened to my 2018 Model S 75D in late 2018. First time, Tesla replaced modules which worked temporarily. Second time, Tesla replaced airbag assembly which worked for 6 months. Today, June 11, 2019, it has started again (no steering wheel buttons, no scroll wheel functionality, no horn). Cannot re-boot. Safety issue with no horn. Vehicle is due for annual state safety inspection by the end of June. Part of that inspection requires the horn to be functional. Scheduled with service (again)...

Same thing happened to my 2018 Model S 75D in late 2018. First time, Tesla replaced modules which worked temporarily. Second time, Tesla replaced airbag assembly which worked for 6 months. Today, June 11, 2019, it has started again (no steering wheel buttons, no scroll wheel functionality, no horn). Cannot re-boot. Safety issue with no horn. Vehicle is due for annual state safety inspection by the end of June. Part of that inspection requires the horn to be functional. Scheduled with service (again)...
So I got mine back today, they said they were going to replace the steering column module and brought the part out to the car at check in (basically everything between the steering wheel and the dash). did pass airbag recall too. issue resolved but close exam of the steering column module does not look like new unit ( dust wear etc).

Michael, this happened to me for the 7th time in the past 1 year I owned my Model S. I am really frustrated now. Did it happen to you again?

Hi y'all. My steering wheel buttons and scrollers stopped working as well. What I am reading in this thread seems like Tesla is trying to solve a software issue, by replacing hardware (bringing back the same problem again and again). Does anyone know whether Tesla's knowledge about how to solve this problem has progressed meanwhile? Otherwise it makes little sense to have hardware being replaced.

Hi y'all. My steering wheel buttons and scrollers stopped working as well. What I am reading in this thread seems like Tesla is trying to solve a software issue, by replacing hardware (bringing back the same problem again and again). Does anyone know whether Tesla's knowledge about how to solve this problem has progressed meanwhile? Otherwise it makes little sense to have hardware being replaced.

So SInce the original failure the controls have failed twice more this time they replaced the actual steering wheel button set. while waiting for the controls to arrive at SC the main screen has now failed...all "just"out of warranty

2015 S 85 (AP1+MCU1)

C
Have had same problem repeated 5x and repeated repairs by SC Rockville MD all proved temporary. 75D was delivered June/18. InJuly/18 all steering wheel controls including horn dysfunctional. Left and right steering wheel control switches replaced. Recurrence 9/18, switches again replaced. Jan/19 replaced driver’s airbag and added ferrite core. May/2019 control switches again replaced. Jan/2020 Control switches yet again replaced “with added counter measures to prevent switch failure”. When I picked up MS technician said they now believed static electricity was causing the issue so they had installed insulation.

Now three months have passed w/o recurrence. No charge for any of these ineffective repairs. My family says I need psychiatric help to have retained such a vehicle. Probably right, but I love my Tesla anyway!

Have had same problem repeated 5x and repeated repairs by SC Rockville MD all proved temporary. 75D was delivered June/18. InJuly/18 all steering wheel controls including horn dysfunctional. Left and right steering wheel control switches replaced. Recurrence 9/18, switches again replaced. Jan/19 replaced driver’s airbag and added ferrite core. May/2019 control switches again replaced. Jan/2020 Control switches yet again replaced “with added counter measures to prevent switch failure”. When I picked up MS technician said they now believed static electricity was causing the issue so they had installed insulation.

Now three months have passed w/o recurrence. No charge for any of these ineffective repairs. My family says I need psychiatric help to have retained such a vehicle. Probably right, but I love my Tesla anyway!
I have had the same issues repeatedly with my 2017 MS P100D. Both scroll wheels, all 4 buttons and the horn stop working for no apparent reason. Prior to the failures, they intermittently fail only to work the next day before permanent failure. My local SC has already replaced the steering wheel control module (containing the stalks-turn signals etc), and the wiring harness (containing the scroll wheels) several times only to have them fail again. The repairs used to fix the problem for aprox 6 months but now failures happen again after only one month! My car is now out of warranty and I am reluctant to let them repair it again (for a cost of aprox $500) not knowing if it will indeed solve the problem permanently. I do need my horn though, especially in parking lots.
Has anyone already having their repairs done had any more trouble with their scroll wheels, buttons, or their horn not working? If your problems have been permanently solved, would you please post (or have your Tesla Tech post) EXACTLY what the solution was to permanently fix this issue. My local SC claims that my car is the only one in this area (N. ILLinois) that is having this problem and that Tesla HQ is not aware of it. Thank you