Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel clicking noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
often when getting into or out of parking spaces, you have to turn the wheel all the way to the right or left to make a tight turn. in those instances, the steering wheel reaches the end of its turning and starts clicking as if to say, "i don't like this!" "you've turned me too far!"

as you are rolling with the wheel in that position, it continues to click like it's broken or something. in our other cars this hasn't happened. you just reach the end of how far it will turn and keep backing out and it's quiet.

our 2014 S60 did this very loudly, and you could even hear the clicking from the outside of the car. i had an appointment to get it looked at but then we ended up getting another Model S.

our new 2016 P90D has a quieter clicking, but it's still a little unnerving to hear it and passengers always wonder why does it do that?

does anyone else experience this?

often when getting into or out of parking spaces, you have to turn the wheel all the way to the right or left to make a tight turn. in those instances, the steering wheel reaches the end of its turning and starts clicking as if to say, "i don't like this!" "you've turned me too far!"

as you are rolling with the wheel in that position, it continues to click like it's broken or something. in our other cars this hasn't happened. you just reach the end of how far it will turn and keep backing out and it's quiet.

our 2014 S60 did this very loudly, and you could even hear the clicking from the outside of the car. i had an appointment to get it looked at but then we ended up getting another Model S.

our new 2016 P90D has a quieter clicking, but it's still a little unnerving to hear it and passengers always wonder why does it do that?

does anyone else experience this?

I had this issue. Here's what my service center did:

Concern: Technciain noticed Steering Wheel Clicking Sound

Corrections: Install Shims and Replace Steering Rack Bolts To Prevent Steering Wheel Clicking (Rear Wheel Drive Vehicle)

Installed new steering rack bolts and shims to remedy intermittent steering click.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

FRICTION SHIM, M14 x 17.5 x 0.16, STL, 2 GRADE 25 (1080982-00-A)

BLT HF M14x2.0x78 [10.9] ZnAl-W (1008339- 2 00-C)

Pay Type: Extended Service Agreement

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
Just developed this odd clicking noise as well in my 2013 MS. A very faint but click/popping noise normally happens when pulling in and out of my garage and in and out of parking spaces. I will see what service says in the next week or so.

Just to add that I have this issue on my XP100DL - it started to develop it after the first annual inspection, before that it was silent.

It clicks mostly when you go to full lock - so you notice it when parking and if you're in an enclosed space it's really loud and TBH embarrassing as well as annoying.

SEC has tried to solve it multiple times - either though "isolating" go greasing the drive-shafts, but it persists. It's louder on 22" summer tyres than 20" winter. I'm passing them this thread an will ask them to try the suggested fix.

Cheers.

Just to add that I have this issue on my XP100DL - it started to develop it after the first annual inspection, before that it was silent.

It clicks mostly when you go to full lock - so you notice it when parking and if you're in an enclosed space it's really loud and TBH embarrassing as well as annoying.

SEC has tried to solve it multiple times - either though "isolating" go greasing the drive-shafts, but it persists. It's louder on 22" summer tyres than 20" winter. I'm passing them this thread an will ask them to try the suggested fix.

Cheers.
I've read that TSB for the shims do not apply to the X. Although, there is also another remedy where they remove the bash plate and clean the mating surface, then re-torque the bolts. I'm sure they'll also check the torque on the front suspension too.