TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering wheel clicking noises

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by wamochi, Nov 2, 2016.

1. wamochi

wamochi Member

often when getting into or out of parking spaces, you have to turn the wheel all the way to the right or left to make a tight turn. in those instances, the steering wheel reaches the end of its turning and starts clicking as if to say, "i don't like this!" "you've turned me too far!"

as you are rolling with the wheel in that position, it continues to click like it's broken or something. in our other cars this hasn't happened. you just reach the end of how far it will turn and keep backing out and it's quiet.

our 2014 S60 did this very loudly, and you could even hear the clicking from the outside of the car. i had an appointment to get it looked at but then we ended up getting another Model S.

our new 2016 P90D has a quieter clicking, but it's still a little unnerving to hear it and passengers always wonder why does it do that?

does anyone else experience this?

2. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

You have 21's, are you sure that the tires aren't rubbing against the fender wells?

3. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Have had it consistently for several years. At one point Ranger added some washers to the rack and retorqued. It went away very briefly but has since returned. Going in for service this month (other issues) and will see if they can address it again.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I had this issue. Here's what my service center did:

Concern: Technciain noticed Steering Wheel Clicking Sound

Corrections: Install Shims and Replace Steering Rack Bolts To Prevent Steering Wheel Clicking (Rear Wheel Drive Vehicle)

Installed new steering rack bolts and shims to remedy intermittent steering click.

Parts Replaced or Added
    Part Quantity

FRICTION SHIM, M14 x 17.5 x 0.16, STL, 2 GRADE 25 (1080982-00-A)

BLT HF M14x2.0x78 [10.9] ZnAl-W (1008339- 2 00-C)

Pay Type: Extended Service Agreement

• Helpful x 1
  5. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

artsci nailed it...lots of cars develop this. mine did, artsci's cure fixed it. the SC should know exactly what it is. mine did..

6. wamochi

wamochi Member

ok great -- thank you everyone. i will have it looked at when i need the first tire rotation!!