Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel control inputs to rest AP nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read a month or so ago here that a recent (Version 8) SW update had enabled autopilot nag reset by means of control wheel or button inputs (along with the the usual steering wheel movement itself as per usual). I received the relevant update and got all the advertised features - but not this. The only way for me to kill the nag is by moving the steering wheel.

I am currently running 2018.36.2a ac4a215. (Version 8)

Anyone else experiencing this? What is the status of this means of nag defeat in Version 9?

I am in Australia so there is a chance this is the issue...

I have 39.6 and steering wheel control will reset nag. Though I personally find a light tug on the wheel easier. Seriously though, this whole nag thing is an annoyance and a disgrace to AP. I won’t go as far to say it makes it worthless but is getting there. Imagine auto gas (cruise control) where you have to tap the gas every few seconds to keep it working.

Reactions: outdoors and croman
I have 39.6 and steering wheel control will reset nag. Though I personally find a light tug on the wheel easier. Seriously though, this whole nag thing is an annoyance and a disgrace to AP. I won’t go as far to say it makes it worthless but is getting there. Imagine auto gas (cruise control) where you have to tap the gas every few seconds to keep it working.

Yes but when a F150 corn holes someone while on cruise it doesn't make the news because it happens too often.

US owner here. Moving the control wheel resets the nag. But, frankly I do not understand why people are so fussy with the AP nag? I rest my elbow on the door rest with one or two fingers on the steering wheel, without any force, and the nag almost never shows up. We need to rest our arm anyway during driving, don't we?

This just tends to show your ignorance of the world.

I believe that all cars with lane guidance have the exact same nag feature, except for Cadillac, which has a sensor that looks at your eyes.

As such, this has nothing to do with the propulsion of the vehicle.

Why does it seem to be a bigger deal for Teslas? First, you are reading a Tesla forum. Second because a number of people have tried to stretch the limits and had publicized events, that Tesla had to respond to

... because a number of people have tried to stretch the limits and had publicized events, that Tesla had to respond to

I do no agree that it's a good reason. More have stretched the limits and broke any traffick laws with Hayabusa motorcycles, it started with "ghostrider sweden" series about year 2000, that did not make Hayabusa stop selling these things or reduce performance.

Stupidity should not be blamed on manufacturers, ever. If stupidity is manufacturers fault, then how comes that chainsaws are legal to sell ?

US owner here. Moving the control wheel resets the nag.
This just tends to show your ignorance of the world.

I believe that all cars with lane guidance have the exact same nag feature, except for Cadillac, which has a sensor that looks at your eyes.

As such, this has nothing to do with the propulsion of the vehicle.

Why does it seem to be a bigger deal for Teslas? First, you are reading a Tesla forum. Second because a number of people have tried to stretch the limits and had publicized events, that Tesla had to respond to

Well then let’s make it user configable. Folks who need to have Tesla protect them from themselves can turn it on. The rest of the big boys who do not can have it off.

By the same token, I would not a car limited at 90mph in the US/Canada, even if that is above all legal limit by a wide margin there.

DYI auto buddy works great. No nag

I'd imagine any sort of identifiable improvised “auto buddy” device found after an autopilot enabled accident would open one up to significant liability. It'll be presented as premeditated defeat of an essential safety feature. Whether or not the device contributes to the accident, it'll be presented as evidence of inattention and blatent disregard for public safety. They'll bring up the beta status of the software and the critical importance of driver involvement. I haven't examined my auto policy but I'll wager that intentionally disabling safety features would be grounds for nonpayment.

I understand the annoyance of the nags especially when one is holding the wheel and still gets the nags, but if one does decide to use a defeat device, it should be well disguised as to purpose and it had better not be on the steering wheel after an accident. One should not leave any discoverable records, and one should tell no one, and not use it with another person in the car, lest that person be subpoenaed.

If there are deaths, there may be criminal liability as well.

I was talking to a lawyer once and commented on the lack of science courses in the legal education process, specifically regarding logic of cause and effect relationships. I was told that legal requirements “are different”, they merely have to show two things happened and there was no requirement or obligation for demonstrating actual cause and effect. This went against what was taught in every jurisprudence course I've taken. Companies have been ruined through damages awards without scientific basis, and it has been proven later there should have been no liability. Still, the company was bankrupted, the lawyers got paid, and the cause and effect part of the process is now just an ironic historical footnote.

Is any of this likely to happen? Of course not. Along the same lines, though, it is unlikely I'll be involved in a major accident but I still buy insurance.

Last edited:

If you use the traffic aware cruise control only, there are no nags. Of course, you're actually having to steer! I do rest my hand on the steering wheel, and still get some nags. I also find that I usually just wiggle the steering wheel rather than reach up to the volume or whatever, since my hand's already on the steering wheel. I think it does help keep me awake, so I'm not terribly opposed to it but I would like it if the nags were somewhat less.