Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel controls confirmed - "feels like a spaceship"!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a covered storage console. See video #2 here: Tesla 3 Test drive

As a lefty, a center console sidestick (operated with the right hand) would probably be a dealbreaker. To your point, I suppose there are those who would equate "lefty" with "handicapped" :)
<===Heh. I used "inboard" and "outboard" just so we didn't have to deliberate symmetry with LHD and RHD countries.

I don't think any spaceship has HUD either.... LOL

565073main_jsc2011e040200_hires.jpg

"JSC2011-E-040200 (2 March 2011) --- The landing approach to the Kennedy Space Center is seen in a heads up display as the STS-135 crew trains in the Vertical Motion Simulator (VMS) at NASA's Ames Research Center in Mountain View, Calif., on March 2, 2011. Photo credit: NASA Photo/Houston Chronicle, Smiley N. Pool"

:D

Elon Musk on Twitter

Maybe not HUD specifically, but he could have replied to a hundred other questions not asking about a HUD, so I think there is some strong evidence there.

My interpretation is completely opposite.
I thought he meant that the lack of HUD and instrument panel would make sense after the part 2 unveil.

I think if there were to be a HUD, he would say so just like he told us that the steering wheel was not the real one.

My interpretation is completely opposite.
I thought he meant that the lack of HUD and instrument panel would make sense after the part 2 unveil.

I think if there were to be a HUD, he would say so just like he told us that the steering wheel was not the real one.

True....OR the HUD will be amazing and he doesn't want to say anything more...like augmented reality.

They won't get rid of the steering wheel. There's a reason that's been a basic part of the car for a century, and lots of companies have tried alternates and nobody ever wants it. Elon makes performance cars and every performance car is meant to be driven, and will have a steering wheel.

I think that we'll see a possible HUD, or perhaps a screen in the wheel, or gesture control, or something else like that but it will have something mostly round, that you can use with either hand (or preferably both) to control the car. It would be insanity to not have a wheel, and Elon may be forward thinking but he's not an idiot that aims to lose money.

Reactions: jkk_
So the drawing is a vague representation of what they may be, or have been, intending to build, so can't read too much into it. But... in that view the steering column looks retractable.

BTW: The original Batmobile (60's TV show) had a steering wheel like that. It would take some getting use to as I often start my turns by grabbing the top of the steering wheel.

I'm hoping we just get a nice flat-bottom steering wheel. First and foremost I'm a driving enthusiast and, believe it or not, that is why I'm buying a model 3. Instant, linear, and immense torque coupled with an insanely low center of gravity results in driving dynamics not attainable anywhere near this price point in an ICE power car. I don't think Tesla would do it, but it would be a shame to ruin that on some weird, and presumably less-involving, driving control system.

• Helpful
Reactions: jkk_ and SW2Fiddler
Steering wheel controls confirmed:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

And on the prototype steering wheel:

"that's not the real steering system"

The way I interpret that this tweet is that the prototype had electric assisted mechanical steering ("that's not the real steering system") and the production M3 will have full drive-by-wire steering standard.

The Infiniti Q50 was first w/ such a system a couple years ago, and is rolling out a second generation system for the 2016 model year.

The benefits of this as demonstrated by the Q50:
  1. The driver can dial in how little (or how much) feedback from the road gets transmitted to the steering wheel. To the point that running over a pothole doesn't move the wheel at all... "Like a spaceship"
  2. "Lane keeping assist" features can keep the car centered in lane "like a magnet" without affecting the steering wheel or braking.
The Infiniti has 3 redundant electronic systems plus a backup mechanical system as a fail safe. Maybe the M3 has it all figured out, and takes it one step further (and lighter and cheaper) by removing the backup. That would make it even easier/cheaper to build right-hand-drive versions. That falls right in line w/ the motivation for the center-console-um...-centric design. (I still imagine a HUD of some kind will be announced in Part 2)

My initial concern was that Infiniti's original steering implementation was not well-received -- and recalled at one point. However the forthcoming 2016 Q50 will have a 2nd generation system that addresses the complaints.

I trust the M3's implementation will be spot-on from the beginning. If not, that's nothing an OTA update can't fix, right? :D

Reactions: Lunarx and 400ev