Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel controls confirmed - "feels like a spaceship"!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
Elon is going to announce the Model 3 is Knight Industries 4000 model. I am guessing that the average tesla driver is a better actor than The Hoff.

See similarities with the sketch???

The way I interpret that this tweet is that the prototype had electric assisted mechanical steering ("that's not the real steering system") and the production M3 will have full drive-by-wire steering standard.

The Infiniti Q50 was first w/ such a system a couple years ago, and is rolling out a second generation system for the 2016 model year.

The benefits of this as demonstrated by the Q50:
  1. The driver can dial in how little (or how much) feedback from the road gets transmitted to the steering wheel. To the point that running over a pothole doesn't move the wheel at all... "Like a spaceship"
  2. "Lane keeping assist" features can keep the car centered in lane "like a magnet" without affecting the steering wheel or braking.
The Infiniti has 3 redundant electronic systems plus a backup mechanical system as a fail safe. Maybe the M3 has it all figured out, and takes it one step further (and lighter and cheaper) by removing the backup. That would make it even easier/cheaper to build right-hand-drive versions. That falls right in line w/ the motivation for the center-console-um...-centric design. (I still imagine a HUD of some kind will be announced in Part 2)

My initial concern was that Infiniti's original steering implementation was not well-received -- and recalled at one point. However the forthcoming 2016 Q50 will have a 2nd generation system that addresses the complaints.

I trust the M3's implementation will be spot-on from the beginning. If not, that's nothing an OTA update can't fix, right? :D
He was replying to the previous tweet about the steering wheel itself when he said it would be like a spaceship. Not if it was drive by wire.

My guess is that it will include an HUD but will go far beyond anything seen today. I think the affect will be like an augmented reality setup similar to google glass or using a tablet with augment reality app. It will also encompass the whole field of vision and not just at the bottom of the windshield.

My guess is that it will include an HUD but will go far beyond anything seen today. I think the affect will be like an augmented reality setup similar to google glass or using a tablet with augment reality app. It will also encompass the whole field of vision and not just at the bottom of the windshield.

That would be great. I wonder if I can get Netflix in the HUD. I don't think the judge would understand the Netflix defense while I'm getting sued for knocking down every mailbox on my block though.

• Funny
Reactions: tomsky
I'd cancel. As much as I love autopilot, I still love to DRIVE. It's something I do for fun when it's not commuting to work. Pushing the car to the limit is exhilarating. I guess flying a plane joystick is fun too but have never done that. I guess I'm afraid of change. :eek:

We're getting to the random prediction stage. It might be as likely that the Model 3 is the last car you are allowed to drive precisely because it is grandfathered in when all cars are required to be able to autonomously drive, and the Model 3 can do that, but will also have steering controls. But that's as good a guess as yours.

You gotta think out of the box boys........the steering wheel will have all driving data displayed in the center. It will be a touch screen. You touch for blinkers, AP, horn, etc.

Maybe not everything is in the (possible) touch screen but let's say majority of functionalities. Blinkers and wipers, for example, might have a stalk. But what's been said (and speculated) I'd think, and hope, you're on to something :)

There will be a little screen in the middle of the steering wheel for speedometer etc.

or

You can see in the drawing faint almost dotted lines completing the circle of the steering wheel, glass perhaps, indicating a screen or a place to project on to?

Last edited:
If there's a screen in the steering wheel like many of you are speculating, where does the steering wheel airbag go? Don't just think about NHTSA regulation on airbags, but think in all the countries they'd export to.

Drive-by-wire in a low cost vehicle, with 4 redundant systems? Where they haved to squeeze as much range as they can while keeping the costs to bare minimum? Not in this generation, maybe in Model 3 2.0. But I see it in Model S and X 2.0 (and maybe next gen Roasdter), as they're supossed to be the flaghips. Remember guys the tech adoption steps, first iteration - expensive and buggy, 2nd - better and less expensive, 3rd - mass market (quirks resolved, costs down to tolerable levels and research expenditures divided to hundreds of thousands units).
And HUD as augmented reality, I'll be more than pleased to see these features: Navdy