Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

Steering Wheel Diameter

I got to sit in You You Xue's Model 3 at his Kingston ON stop last night, and I was struck by how much of the car was smaller than I thought it was. The hood was much lower than I thought it'd be (the rake is more dramatic in person then in photos), the taper of the greenhouse behind the rear passengers is more significant than I though making the back window smaller than it looks, and inside the car the steering wheel is significantly smaller than I thought. I had assumed that it was the same size as my Volt steering wheel, and then the rest of the inside of the car was scaled in my mind to that, making the screen smaller than I thought it'd be but also closer to the driver.

Does anyone know what the diameter of the steering wheel is? It could help others who haven't seen the car in person put the images in perspective.

pharma5

Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx
Nov 22, 2011
central NJ
Definitely smaller than S, but the S is a boat:p - the 3 is a sport sedan. For bonus points, the Roadster's steering wheel is smaller still, just over 12".

Not shockingly, I like the size of the Model 3 steering wheel as well as that of the Roadster. For Model S (loaners) it always feel big, but then you get used to it in a big car.

When I took delivery of my Model 3 the size of the steering wheel threw me off as well. Noticeably smaller than what I was use to feeling in my Model S. I was uncomfortable at first, having spent years with the larger S size. After just a few days, however, it is great and now when I get behind the wheel of my Model S it feels like I'm driving a bus!

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
I got to sit in You You Xue's Model 3 at his Kingston ON stop last night, and I was struck by how much of the car was smaller than I thought it was. The hood was much lower than I thought it'd be (the rake is more dramatic in person then in photos), the taper of the greenhouse behind the rear passengers is more significant than I though making the back window smaller than it looks, and inside the car the steering wheel is significantly smaller than I thought. I had assumed that it was the same size as my Volt steering wheel, and then the rest of the inside of the car was scaled in my mind to that, making the screen smaller than I thought it'd be but also closer to the driver.

Does anyone know what the diameter of the steering wheel is? It could help others who haven't seen the car in person put the images in perspective.
I had the exact opposite to reaction to the 3 when I had an hour to play with one.
- the 3 is larger than what I expected. When I first saw the 3 in profile from 50 feet, I thought it was an MS.
- the hood is indeed radically raked especially when standing at the front of the car.
- the sky roof looked YUGE to me when sitting inside, especially when sitting in the rear seat.
- the UI screen looked bigger to me than expected, it felt like a spaceship.
- didn't notice the size of the steering wheel, because it is about the same size as the one in my Prius.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC