Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel effort to get out of auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
A truck drifted into my lane while I was on auto pilot and I had to apply so much torque to the wheel to get it out of auto pilot that I swerved out of my lane. It seems to fight pretty hard when you try to take control so you over correct. I would like a vibration or shaking similar but stronger than lane departure warning when steering out of auto pilot.

... break paddle ...
Wondering what one of those looks like and what it's made of. Wood? Plastic? Can't be anything metallic unless it was used on Superman or Wolverine. But I digress...

An early VIN (7xx) I rented back in January only required a fairly minimum amount of force on the steering wheel to break it out of EAP. Did not have to step on the brake pedal :) .

I use the middle setting for steering feel and it’s trivial to override autosteer.
But I’m not driving to override, I’m driving the way I would drive normally. If autosteer wants to do something I don’t agree with, it’s fighting me, not the other way around.
It’s only an issue if you’re waiting for autosteer to do something about a situation - don’t wait that long.
Remember this is driver assistance, not replacement :)

Wondering what one of those looks like and what it's made of.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 11.43.04 PM.png

Felt like a total dolt when I reached for it barely 2 blocks into the Model 3 test drive. ;)

As for OP, I found myself pushing out of EAP extremely easily. I was in Normal setting (not Chill or Sport). My inner control freak wanted to just do things, habitually adjusting within the lane to cheat on one side or the other to give extra buffer from other vehicles, and it'd pop right out. This was at 60mph on a multilane divided highway.

Last edited:
Wondering what one of those looks like and what it's made of. Wood? Plastic? Can't be anything metallic unless it was used on Superman or Wolverine. But I digress...

An early VIN (7xx) I rented back in January only required a fairly minimum amount of force on the steering wheel to break it out of EAP. Did not have to step on the brake pedal :) .
Grammer police I see...

A truck drifted into my lane while I was on auto pilot and I had to apply so much torque to the wheel to get it out of auto pilot that I swerved out of my lane. It seems to fight pretty hard when you try to take control so you over correct. I would like a vibration or shaking similar but stronger than lane departure warning when steering out of auto pilot.

RTFM. There are other easier ways ... and less drama.

Maybe Tesla (or some 3rd party) can create a "EAP For Dummies" tutorial ...

Pushing up on the stalk is less jarring to passengers as well. If I exit out of AP by fighting the steering wheel with my wife in the car she always freaks out so I really try to avoid doing it. She still doesn’t trust the car, one of the reasons she had me name my Model 3 “Christine” after the killer car from the Stephen King novel.

Last edited:

First, remember that same sensor does two functions, it takes you out of lane guidance and it also is what the nag reminder uses.
The pressure to get you out of lane guidance is a lot more than I would like. Out 2018 Leaf needs no where near that amount to get it out of lane guidance (ProPilot) and it also has the same nag reminder, so that means it can be done.

But in general, I've found that I always try to use two hands when coming out of lane guidance. It seems as if one takes me out and the other one keeps me from going to far.

And for those who are responding with different versions
Turning the wheel takes you out of lane guidance, but adaptive cruise control stays on.
Up clicking the right stalk turns everything off.
The brake also turns everything off, I think.