Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel finishing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model 3 but after three days of driving I am getting blisters on the inside of my thumb knuckles and under my ring fingers. I hate the steering wheel material and the seams are so rough it is causing the blisters. Anyone else having issues with this? Any solutions?
Not at all!! That should never happen. Maybe you are allergic to the materials?

Love my Model 3 but after three days of driving I am getting blisters on the inside of my thumb knuckles and under my ring fingers. I hate the steering wheel material and the seams are so rough it is causing the blisters. Anyone else having issues with this? Any solutions?
It may seem as fast as a roller coaster but no need for Death Grip;)

20C154A6-4E27-4990-8216-CED1676C0056.jpeg You need new carbon fiber /alcantara wheel :oops:

Reactions: JohnC
I think that the raised stitching on the steering wheel is irritating the OPs skin. I can relate, even having driven my 3 for only 2 days. Using the traditional 10-and-2 hand placement will put the thumbs and ring fingers directly on the stitching. My suggestion would be to use the 9-and-3 locations. Or do what I do: drive with the left hand at the 7:30 position, with the left elbow on the door armrest.

I think that the raised stitching on the steering wheel is irritating the OPs skin. I can relate, even having driven my 3 for only 2 days. Using the traditional 10-and-2 hand placement will put the thumbs and ring fingers directly on the stitching. My suggestion would be to use the 9-and-3 locations. Or do what I do: drive with the left hand at the 7:30 position, with the left elbow on the door armrest.
Exactly how I drive...I don't completely wrap my entire hand around the wheel either...maybe OP very sensitive?

By the way, I believe with the advent of airbags the safer positions are 8-and-4 now. That is how I have been driving for a number of years and it works well for me.

Anyone not like the shape of the steering wheel?

Only two model 3's I have been in are early VINs, and the back of the steering wheel is sort of angular - it's not entirely round - at least up top. Am I crazy? Was one of the first differences I noticed from the model S.

Anyone not like the shape of the steering wheel?

Only two model 3's I have been in are early VINs, and the back of the steering wheel is sort of angular - it's not entirely round - at least up top. Am I crazy? Was one of the first differences I noticed from the model S.

I’ve had my car for 3.5 months and this “non-round” aspect of the steering wheeel shape bothers me too. I’ve never had this issue with any other car and it’s the biggest disappointment I have with the interior.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I just googled model 3 rough steering wheel. My original wheel was perfect I thought except a wrinkle and they replaced it and the stitching is REALLY rough. So some steering wheels are perfect and some are rough. Maybe two stitching suppliers. I’m going to contact the SC because it really should not be rough like this particular wheel is.