Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel heat inconsistent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I've noticed this as well. So it's either a bug or a feature. 🤔
My steering wheel heat seems to start off very warm for about 5 minutes, then fade out to nothing. Anyone else?

Yeah, I’ve noticed this as well. Most cars I’ve been in the steering wheel stays warm / hot the entire time. Have you asked Tesla service if this is an issue? It seems like it’s heating up initially to overcome any cold temps and then it just keeps it barely warm.

I don't have the heated steering wheel, but I don't understand why y'all think it's a problem? Several have posted about other vehicles doing exactly this: heat on/off/on/off. I won't be surprised if y'all find out that it's functioning exactly as designed, similar to rear window defroster.

I figure the engineers aren't counting on the steering wheel as a primary source of heat for extended periods. When cabin temp rises, which it does VERY quickly in a Tesla, and the wheel is warm, there's no longer any need to draw power for the steering wheel (or the rear window defroster).

I am starting to think that the heated steering wheel and seats are not even needed in this car. With my ICE BMW you need these things because you have to wait 5-10 minutes for the engine to heat up to heat the cabin. With the Tesla you get immediate heat and, even better, you can turn on the heat from the app and the car is warm as soon as you enter. I like having the heated steering wheel and seats, but not nearly as important as they are in an ICE car.