Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel heat inconsistent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the heated steering wheel, but I don't understand why y'all think it's a problem? Several have posted about other vehicles doing exactly this: heat on/off/on/off. I won't be surprised if y'all find out that it's functioning exactly as designed, similar to rear window defroster.

I figure the engineers aren't counting on the steering wheel as a primary source of heat for extended periods. When cabin temp rises, which it does VERY quickly in a Tesla, and the wheel is warm, there's no longer any need to draw power for the steering wheel (or the rear window defroster
My steering wheel heat seems to start off very warm for about 5 minutes, then fade out to nothing. Anyone else?
exactly the same thing here - I’m assuming it’s not supposed to go on, off, on, off, on, off etc. the sensible thing would be for it to be a medium heat and stay on. The problem I have is my heating system is broken in my brand new model y, so when the wheel goes off every minute, my hands get cold. So I’m assuming it’s just another thing to add to my growing list of broken things on my brand new Tesla ready for my first service appointment.

My steering wheel heat seems to start off very warm for about 5 minutes, then fade out to nothing. Anyone else?
exactly the same thing here - I’m assuming it’s not supposed to go on, off, on, off, on, off etc. the sensible thing would be for it to be a medium heat and stay on. The problem I have is my heating system is broken in my brand new model y, so when the wheel goes off every minute, my hands get cold. So I’m assuming it’s just another thing to add to my growing list of broken things on my brand new Tesla ready for my first service appointment.

So got the car back from service, and they said they tested the wheel and all is working normal as it should. So it is normal for it to heat up and then slowly cool down and then heat up again.
I have a service appointment for my 2018 Model S,(still under warranty, purchase date March 2019 from Tesla as new) and they put a estimate to fix the heated wheel at $97. I haven’t taken the car in yet but I have questioned them on charging me for something that is under warranty. They have not answered Yet.

Mine gets so hot I can barely touch, then cools off, then repeats. My wife's Chevy stays at a nice consistent temperature. I assume it cycles the heat on and off quick enough that it controls a constant temperature range. Hoping Tesla can make this a bit better via update soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Yes, Hopefully Tesla can make this better - it's not that hard to do from a coding perspective and could also give us users the same kind of ability to have 3 levels of heat like the seats do.

I get the impression that all the software and hardware guys at Tesla are in nice warm California and don't really think of those of us up in the frozen North where steering wheel heat and defrost are commonly used items for us that they like to bury in the UI.

I think some of the UI devs need to spend a week or two up North and then maybe they would get the message for real.

Vancouver bc here experiencing -4c to - 10c daily and have this issue with the steering wheel. Turns off just as its getting satisfying and cools down faster than it heats back up during the normal cycle. So frustrating!

Hope it will be improved in future update

So I have the answer to this question. When the heated steering wheel became available on Model X & S, it was constantly on and ruined the vegan leather wrapped around them. Because vegan leather is mostly plastic, the heat caused it to become brittle and crack. The problem only consistently occurred on heated steering wheels. So, Tesla engineers decided the best way to remedy this was to have the steering wheel heat up and remain on a low setting not to dry out the plastic.

I had a service technician come out today and tell me why my front windows won't go all the way up. He really knows his stuff and seems like a good guy. He remembered when I called him out to explain why my steering wheel won't stay hot. So, he told me today, there's an update coming that includes something about the heated steering wheel. No idea what it is, but something.

I had a service technician come out today and tell me why my front windows won't go all the way up. He really knows his stuff and seems like a good guy. He remembered when I called him out to explain why my steering wheel won't stay hot. So, he told me today, there's an update coming that includes something about the heated steering wheel. No idea what it is, but something.
Isn’t this just apart of the cold weather update, so the window doesn’t have to drop as far when its frozen/sluggish window motor. So you don’t break your glass/pop your trim when opening door in cold weather.

Your post above about not drying out vegan leather seems to make the most sense. I wish I had a heated steering wheel 😕

Reactions: headhz
Service just had my car for this sole issue, replaced the steering wheel all together after saying this is “isn’t normal” and confirmed its an issue. Literally as I drove away with my brand new steering wheel it is still doing it. Not sure I want to deals with Service having my car for a week and half why they try to find parts again.

Service just had my car for this sole issue, replaced the steering wheel all together after saying this is “isn’t normal” and confirmed its an issue. Literally as I drove away with my brand new steering wheel it is still doing it. Not sure I want to deals with Service having my car for a week and half why they try to find parts again.
I was told it is normal. I wish it wasn’t.

It's working as intended. When resistive heating is used for this type of thing, "on" is usually going to be too hot for any extended period of time. Similar to when heating elements cycle on/off in a toaster or an electric stovetop. Not sure if there's a way for them to adjust the "temp" with a software update. If it's a fixed wattage as I suspect it is, cycling on/off is really the only way to prevent it from burning the steering wheel wrap, or your hands.

It's working as intended. When resistive heating is used for this type of thing, "on" is usually going to be too hot for any extended period of time. Similar to when heating elements cycle on/off in a toaster or an electric stovetop. Not sure if there's a way for them to adjust the "temp" with a software update. If it's a fixed wattage as I suspect it is, cycling on/off is really the only way to prevent it from burning the steering wheel wrap, or your hands.
would really like to have heat levels but I totally get that, makes sense