Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel is offset or just me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've drive my in-laws new MY every now and then, and I've noticed whenever driving the steering wheel tends to be looser while turning right more than left.

When you're driving down a straight street, the steering wheel Tesla logo isn't perfectly centered, it's a bit tilted to keep the car straight, but only slightly. I've been driving my M3 for 1 1/2 years and never had this issue on my car.

Should I send it in or is it just me? Is there a way to recalibrate the steering wheel?

I've drive my in-laws new MY every now and then, and I've noticed whenever driving the steering wheel tends to be looser while turning right more than left.

When you're driving down a straight street, the steering wheel Tesla logo isn't perfectly centered, it's a bit tilted to keep the car straight, but only slightly. I've been driving my M3 for 1 1/2 years and never had this issue on my car.

Should I send it in or is it just me? Is there a way to recalibrate the steering wheel?
Your alignment is off. Take it to a shop.

Agree. My MY both had the steering wheel offset to the right, and the car pulled to the left at delivery. I took it in the first time to the SC and they fixed the alignment, but didn't center the steering wheel. Took it back today and now the steering wheel is perfectly straight, as well as the alignment. Seems like the off-center steering wheel was an issue many folks experienced at delivery with the MY.

My steering wheel is off center as well, didn't really notice till two weeks after I took delivery of my model y performance. Scheduled a service and was quoted $275 and was not under warranty. Was also told I had 100 miles to have reported it. WTF?????

My steering wheel is off center as well, didn't really notice till two weeks after I took delivery of my model y performance. Scheduled a service and was quoted $275 and was not under warranty. Was also told I had 100 miles to have reported it. WTF?????
These cars simply do not come aligned from the factory.

If you don’t catch it in the first 100 miles Tesla will charge you to fix their production shortcuts. Most people probably don’t catch it in time.

Welcome to Tesla ownership.

Reactions: Mattemsmy
No. It’s not.

There is either an issue with the vehicle’s alignment or the wheel is not properly centered. Either way, it can be corrected.
When I first reported it and took it to SC, a tech actually drove the car with me in it on a straight and flat street near the SC where they test alignment on, and showed the wheel straight and car tracking straight, so they elected not to fix it. On most roads I trek every day however, the wheel tilts slight right but car tracks straight (you'd think the car would go left)... It is odd.

When I first reported it and took it to SC, a tech actually drove the car with me in it on a straight and flat street near the SC where they test alignment on, and showed the wheel straight and car tracking straight, so they elected not to fix it. On most roads I trek every day however, the wheel tilts slight right but car tracks straight (you'd think the car would go left)... It is odd.
That’s not how you check an alignment…

They are brushing you off because they don’t want to spend time fixing the problem.

Reactions: PeteOC
You do what you want. But don’t tell people it’s normal or fine.
i mean ive had 4 cars that came from factory with the wheel offset, alignment was perfect, dealers tried to fix steering wheel position came back exactly the same, this was with VW and audi and a porsche so in reality 99 percent of the time its normal and fine. a steering wheel 3 degrees offset with a perfect alignment is not gonna cause any issues, ive been in plenty of tesla with the same offset wheel from factory and brought to tesla and came back exactly the same

Reactions: PeteOC
i mean ive had 4 cars that came from factory with the wheel offset, alignment was perfect, dealers tried to fix steering wheel position came back exactly the same, this was with VW and audi and a porsche so in reality 99 percent of the time its normal and fine. a steering wheel 3 degrees offset with a perfect alignment is not gonna cause any issues, ive been in plenty of tesla with the same offset wheel from factory and brought to tesla and came back exactly the same
Not sure how else to say it. It isn’t normal.

Either your alignment was off or something was damaged/not properly assembled.

Last edited: