Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel leather coming loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this issue. Actually happened over the last few days. Has stopped getting worse now thankfully. My car is usually parked indoors if not then I usually use a sun shield. Regardless, have owned cars for decades with pleather wrapped steering wheels without sun shield and parked in hot environments and never had this issue. My car is < 1 year old.
I'm missing something here, where is is coming loose? Can't tell from the picture.

Did they replace the wheel? My 8month old Y has some vegan leather coming loose behind the 3 o clock indentation area. Annoying as that’s where my fingers rest all the time. Flappy loose leather. Ugh.
I just had this happen to my 2021 MYLR last weekend. Right thumb area. Car is perfect otherwise.
Car is garage kept and only has <20k miles.

Did they replace the wheel? My 8month old Y has some vegan leather coming loose behind the 3 o clock indentation area. Annoying as that’s where my fingers rest all the time. Flappy loose leather. Ugh.

Yes, replaced the whole wheel. Ranger said the old ones going in the garbage (which is sad, I guess it's not worth the time/effort to fix... wish I could have kept it, but I understand)

Rear left side of my steering wheel started bubbling up a bit and the stitching was coming apart. Opened up a service appt and they replaced the steering wheel. No charge / no hassle and they offered me my old steering wheel back since it was garbage. I kept it. This was covered under basic warranty.
My car is a 2022 MY with around 17.5k miles - NJ.

The older steering wheels and seats are covered in actual leather and not having any issues like this?
Is there a cutoff date for the material changeover?

I don't suppose the delimitation issues from Normal use of common products, that doesn't effect most other brands, has changed on the seat and wheel materials currently in use for tesla?

Rear left side of my steering wheel started bubbling up a bit and the stitching was coming apart. Opened up a service appt and they replaced the steering wheel. No charge / no hassle and they offered me my old steering wheel back since it was garbage. I kept it. This was covered under basic warranty.
My car is a 2022 MY with around 17.5k miles - NJ.
I have the exact same issue on my 2022 model 3. The service center says it is not covered by warranty and I am still within my warranty

Just noticed this issue. Actually happened over the last few days. Has stopped getting worse now thankfully.

These kind of problems don't fix themselves on their own.
You need to address it, or it will get worse.

BTW, Musk got infected with PETA mind virus, and our cars don't have leather.
Your steering wheel, seats, and all other surfaces, are some form of plastic-fantastic.

Basically, it's a Barbie interior.

What's this 12.5k "interior" warranty? Never heard about this. Tesla really just makes up the warranty length for specific things.

The challenge with having Service Centers owned and operated by an auto OEM is that ... they can make up policies as they go along. And there is no-one to keep them accountable.
Welcome to the Tesla service Russian roulette!

The Tesla warranty documentation states the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty on new vehicles covers correction of defects in materials or workmanship under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50k miles.

Alas, it's utterly un-enforceable. Unless the dispute amount warrants going through the legal system.
Ask me how I know!

a