Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel leather FAIL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 50k miles on my ‘21 Y LR and the leather on my steering wheel has started to bubble up, and loosen creating a hazard.

Started service appt and was told this is normal “wear and tear” and not covered by warranty!! Asking for $1500. What gives??

Anyone else had this issue? Or advice on how to deal with Tesla Service?

thx!

40BBFB1B-E9CA-461B-935F-652DF048913D.jpeg

Attachments

• 2ABE19A7-D9E9-4C65-B2D6-6B9700E6E144.jpeg
    2ABE19A7-D9E9-4C65-B2D6-6B9700E6E144.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 28ED6251-9DCD-411F-A70E-9880633595B4.jpeg
    28ED6251-9DCD-411F-A70E-9880633595B4.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 316
This has been happening with other model Teslas as well. Each and every time Tesla claims "abuse and normal wear and tear". IMO the solution is to just get a nice steering wheel wrap. It's not worth spending $1200 on it as it will just happen again.

I have an original steering wheel from my 2022 model Y. If your interested in buying it make me an offer. Very easy to take yours off and use the air bag and wiring harness from your wheel with a new wheel (mine has the control buttons still attached). I got the Hanshow yoke in real white leather with a white air bag cover.

I have an original steering wheel from my 2022 model Y. If you’re interested in buying it make me an offer. Very easy to take yours off and use the air bag and wiring harness from your wheel with a new wheel (mine has the control buttons still attached). I got the Hanshow yoke in real white leather with a white air bag cover.

Thanks. I’m interested. Will DM you. I’m in SoCal

OEM Steering wheels can be found as low as 200 for new or like new. It's totally understandable why tesla won't cover it, no way to prove its defective and not wear and tear or mishandling.

Thankfully it's cheap to replace and move on.

• Love
Reactions: GOVA
I have ruined a couple of steering wheels in other cars in exactly the same place as shown above. If I hold the steering wheel in that spot, I find that I grip it and wind up twisting a bit. And, so, ruined steering wheels.

After the last one I ruined, I developed a habit of trying to not hold the wheel there, and I try to use just a couple of fingers to keep my grip loose. I prefer my left hand either at 9 or 7 o'clock, this lets me use two fingers and my thumb for straight stuff but my hand is ready to grab for turns. This has helped.

But…the Model Y seating/steering wheel arrangement means I can’t put my hands where I want them. I’m finding that what I used to do was rest my wrist on my knee, and the wheel was right there (7 o'clock). Or, I could use the left armrest (9 o'clock). Because of the upright seating, its an odd position to get my knee in the right place. If I rest my elbow on the left armrest I wind up pressing down on the wheel if I’m relaxed…and it’s not NASCAR.

The upshot of the previous paragraph is - it’s hard to hold the MY wheel gently and that’s going to lead to damage over time. 350 miles in and I’m just now finding some good positioning.

Tesla still needs better materials in any event. It just doesn’t feel sturdy at all.

I have 50k miles on my ‘21 Y LR and the leather on my steering wheel has started to bubble up, and loosen creating a hazard.

Started service appt and was told this is normal “wear and tear” and not covered by warranty!! Asking for $1500. What gives??

Anyone else had this issue? Or advice on how to deal with Tesla Service?

thx!

View attachment 847141
You should get a new steering wheel for your tesla, check this out:Tesla Model 3 / Y Steering Wheel Accessories