Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel locked when charging and...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure this was not the case before, but today I noticed while charging that my steering wheel would not turn, it felt as though it was locked in the conventional sense. (I cut my charge short as I was concerned about it).

So anyway, once I finished charging, it remained locked (increasing my stress levels) until the seat belt was in and brake pedal pressed. As I say, I was sure this wasn't the case before.

On my way home, I stopped off for some beer (due to my stress levels) and on coming back to the car, same thing again, steering wheel was locked in position until, seat belt and brake pedal pressed.

I tried this once more when I got home. I get out of the car in Park and Easy Entry and the steering wheel still turns but this time I stood outside the car until the headlamps go off (30 seconds or whatever it's set to) and the screen goes blank and sure enough, I open the door and the same thing, steering wheel locked.

Am I losing my mind or what? Is this a new thing (recently updated to 2022.4.5.3)?

I was sure I enquired about the lack of steering wheel lock on these cars, I can't be imagining it, can I...

The electric steering assistance is off when the car is off. If the charge flap is open then the car is off. You can turn the wheel, but not easily.
I play racing games while charging using my steering wheel and I never felt like it was locked. And the OP clearly says it was not like before. As usual reset and see whether that makes difference and will wait to hear from other users.

I play racing games while charging using my steering wheel
This is exactly what I was thinking, although I've never played any of the games but did wonder about that.

Just went out to the car there, unlocked and got in and steering wheel is locked or at least extremely tight (certainly unable to turn it without fear of doing damage). As soon as I belt up and hit the brake, it releases. (coincides with the exterior lights coming on).

Definitely don't think it was like this before.

I play racing games while charging using my steering wheel and I never felt like it was locked. And the OP clearly says it was not like before. As usual reset and see whether that makes difference and will wait to hear from other users.
You get the power steering back for the racing game. I've not noticed any change in behaviour for this in the last couple of years, but I may have missed something.

This is exactly what I was thinking, although I've never played any of the games but did wonder about that.

Just went out to the car there, unlocked and got in and steering wheel is locked or at least extremely tight (certainly unable to turn it without fear of doing damage). As soon as I belt up and hit the brake, it releases. (coincides with the exterior lights coming on).

Definitely don't think it was like this before.
Same for me. Unlock and enter car, all functions working. Wheel is very stiff until I enter the PIN, then it moves freely. I don’t think it did that before

One of the first MX owners here in the UK. Clocked over 60k miles charged at Superchargers - the steering wheel locking has always been the case.

The only time the steering disengages whilst charging is if you are playing games on the Tesla that uses steering wheel as input. Rumour has it that this was to change in 2019 but I don’t recall seeing this change implemented. 😀

Hope it’s helpful!