Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel locked while trying to get out of parallel parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already messaged Tesla support about this, but something really weird just happened with my 2021 m3p. I was parallel parked and attempting to get out of my spot, so I steered right while slowly moving back in reverse to put some space between me and the vehicle in front. After shifting to drive to get out, the steering wheel locked up and was just stuck rotated all the way to the right. I couldn't move it at all whether I was slowly moving in drive or in reverse. After shifting to park though, the steering wheel immediately unlocked and allowed me to reorient myself properly.

Still waiting for support to respond, but has anyone ever encountered this?

Does the Tesla steering column have a physical locking mechanism? I thought locking steering columns went away with twist-key ignition setups.

Your steering assist maybe have tripped an e-fuse (high current demand if holding the wheel against the hard limit of its turn could do this, much like hydraulic power steering would start to make a whining noise in the same situation and eventually damage the pump.)

Try a reset from Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off.

I already messaged Tesla support about this, but something really weird just happened with my 2021 m3p. I was parallel parked and attempting to get out of my spot, so I steered right while slowly moving back in reverse to put some space between me and the vehicle in front. After shifting to drive to get out, the steering wheel locked up and was just stuck rotated all the way to the right. I couldn't move it at all whether I was slowly moving in drive or in reverse. After shifting to park though, the steering wheel immediately unlocked and allowed me to reorient myself properly.

Still waiting for support to respond, but has anyone ever encountered this?
Same thing happened to me while trying to get out of a tight parallel spot in my 2021 MY last week. It was almost as if it was in response to me getting too close to the car in front (<12”). I’m not exactly sure but I think I ended up just turning really hard on the wheel and it gave up (which I’m realizing was probably not smart). It was potentially very dangerous though. The cars behind me were pissed. Thanks for posting hopefully support gets back to you. I’ll send something as well.