Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel locking intermittently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, The steering wheel on my Model Y gets locked when I put the car in Drive or Reverse mode. The car will move in forward or reverse direction but steering wheel won't move. After an hour or everything comes back to normal and I am able to drive fine. This has only happened when I put the car in drive or reverse from Park mode. This has happened 2 days in a row. I have mobile service coming in 2 days to take a look.

Hi, The steering wheel on my Model Y gets locked when I put the car in Drive or Reverse mode. The car will move in forward or reverse direction but steering wheel won't move. After an hour or everything comes back to normal and I am able to drive fine. This has only happened when I put the car in drive or reverse from Park mode. This has happened 2 days in a row. I have mobile service coming in 2 days to take a look.
Nothing with the Tesla but I had an electronic lock sticking on my Landrover. Had to have it towed once because it just wouldn't release. No keys anymore in cars so it's just an electronic switch that pulls the pin back. Surprised it doesn't have a safety to prevent you from moving. When mine was stuck you could no longer start the car. It the landrover I just took off the module sprayed the crap out of the inside with wd40 and sold the car :)

Upvote 0
darshansavla: I realize now you're new here. Welcome to the world of Tesla. There's really no way to answer your question.

Service Centers, in general, seem to be understaffed, some of them overwhelmed. There are dozens of threads about folk waiting days/weeks for service.
It all depends on the Service Center you're using, the number of Teslas in your region, etc. etc. Lots of variables.

Upvote 0