Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

steering wheel misalignment right off the lot, along with really bad paint defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pickup my MYLR this afternoon, saw some usual gap and alignment issues with doors, panels, and headlight. Nothing major that I wasn't prepared for. then I saw the horrible paint crack lines and some really bad paint smudges under the handle lift area for the trunk, both left and right side. Definitely not normal. Was reassured they are fixable. so I drove it off the lot.
Right after I got on the freeway, I can tell the steering wheel is misaligned. **** me.... so I waited till the AP finished calibrating to see if I engage it and that will fix it. Right away, the car shake and vibrates like trying to veer off. AP threw up warnings and error, saying the car is veering off lane or something like that. Then I figure the car is definitely misaligned and that is throwing off AP sensor. Right after I exit, loads of error start popping up. Traction is off, Stability control is off, regen braking is off, auto emergency braking is off, along with steering alignment needs adjustment (DUH!).

Drove to the nearest service center, which happens to be 5 minutes away from me. Salesrep said service center is closed, so make an appointment. Tried doing so and the next availability is out till Nov 11, and the app only allows me to submit one issue!! WTF.

this has been such a frustrating, nerve-racking, and disappointing experience to say the least. I am just appalled at the level of QC from Tesla right now. I was prepared for the panel gap issues, but in no way expecting driving and safety issue right off the lot. Especially with how apparent the paint defect is. how could QC missed that? did they hope since it's on the underside, the customer wouldn't notice?! You can love Tesla for everything it is, but you can't excuse this level of substandard quality.

I didn't even drive it after that for the rest of the day. Because I didn't know if I can make it worst or even safe to drive.
IMG_9668.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9656.JPG
    IMG_9656.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9657.JPG
    IMG_9657.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 111
Return it within 72 hours for any reason its law. Bought three Tesla’s each had their own problems. If you can live with multiple service requests keep it and prepare to be flustered until you can live with it or return it.

Return it within 72 hours for any reason its law. Bought three Tesla’s each had their own problems. If you can live with multiple service requests keep it and prepare to be flustered until you can live with it or return it.
It would depend on the state where you purchased the Tesla Model Y whether the vehicle can be returned with a specified time. Try rebooting the Model Y (press and hold the left and right scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 10 seconds (while parked.) Don't attempt to use autopilot. Make the alignment issue the reason for the initial service appointment (do upload the photo of the Tesla screen errors that were displayed with the service request ticket.) Tesla should provide you a loaner vehicle.

dropped off the car at the service center. Wasn't as smooth as I thought, disappointing. The reps AND the manager definitely tried to talk their way out of redoing the trunk paint repair. spoke to 2 reps, went over all the defects. 1 flat out said the trunk defect was NORMAL. Which I counter saying I checked every car on the lot on pickup day and it's not. They then said to get approval from the manager. Manager then said that the crack line can be fixed and that it will happen again, due to flexing? He said after time, the seal area will shows crack. so PSA for everyone, your car will have cracks over time?!!? WTF. ****ing kidding me? Tesla?
He then tried to persuade me from fixing it by saying it will have to be sanded and repainted and that might be problematic?? and that it's in an area that isn't noticeable. I told him to repaint and fix it, if it happen again we will deal with it then.
After all that getting ready to wrap up the visit. The rep THEN told me the repainting will have to be paid out of pocket by me. I pushed back and said definitely not going to happen, and I want to speak to the manager again. After a bit, the same rep came back and said there was a miscommunication and it will be covered no charge. yeah right...miscommunication, sure.
schedule pick up is in 4 days, lets see how that goes.
totally disappointed, I thought it should be straight forward as dropping it off to get *sugar* fix. I went over all of this at the first visit, they said they will address it all. Good thing I kept record and documented everything

Reactions: Dcam
return it asap and wait for another one. if they are making excuses at this point them you probably have one of the shady SC and will be ongoing frustration trying to get them to take responsibility and the longer you wait the harder they will ignore you

return it asap and wait for another one. if they are making excuses at this point them you probably have one of the shady SC and will be ongoing frustration trying to get them to take responsibility and the longer you wait the harder they will ignore you
I pick it up on Nov 1, took it on a long road trip just last week. I still have faith they will fix them, as they are all cosmetic stuff. fingers crossed. I can always take it to another service center.

what worries me is if they took that little care in assembly then what else is crooked, missing, broken that you can't see YET. the problems you have shown are not small and will be lengthy and expensive to fix. I feel for your sanity if you stick with this vehicle

My steering wheel was misaligned, but the wheels weren't. Never seen that on a car before. It tracked straight and didn't pull but the steering wheel was most definitely not pointing north as the car rolled true. They fixed it under warranty with no grief.