TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering wheel moved!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Darmie, May 5, 2018.

1. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    It’s that I never seen this before.

Let’s start off by saying we took deliver back 9/11/2017. We have approx. 22,000 miles or so. Just last month I purchased auto pilot. I felt with the many miles we are putting on the car, I really wanted to enjoy it for what it was worth.

Without autopilot, you will not see the small steering wheel displayed on the top left of the screen. When autopilot is engaged, I often noticed that the blue steering wheel that is displayed was always showing a bit off representing the wheel turned slightly to the right. Not to the point to be bothered but for some, I’m sure it could.

So today, my wife Karen met me at work and we took a ride in town for lunch. On the road where I work there are couple of sharp curves. While using autopilot and as I was holding the wheel and looking at the road, out of the corner of my eye, I seen the blue steering wheel start to turn. Never noticed this before but sure enough, as the road was twisting and the car was turning, so was the little blue steering wheel. Anyone else noticed this?

• Funny x 2
  2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

It's always done that... and you're not the first or last to be surprised by it. ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

Click-baitiest click-baity-click-bait ever!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    haha. Wonder if it's going to work. But joking aside, it really did amaze me when I seen it. Karen was like, WHAT!! I'm like the little steering wheel turned!

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Did it really always do it? I thought AP1 did it then AP2 didn’t and it was added back at some point (a year ago?). I know it was mentioned a while back before I got my car (so last summer or spring?).

6. BlueRocket

BlueRocket S90D HW2.0 MCU1 2019.20.4.3

Jerry... I think it moved o_O

• Funny x 2
  7. MoonChou

MoonChou Member

It's always done it for me. I got mine at the Sept 30, 2016.

8. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

Bump

• Funny x 1
  9. RedMS

RedMS Member

Here is another kicker. That part of the UI screen is touch sensitive. If you stick your hand in you can control the steering via the blue icon with your finger. Enjoy.

• Funny x 4
  10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I joke around plenty on TMC, but this is dangerous and false information that might not be obvious to some people reading the forum.

It poses a real safety concern and accident risk if people actually try to stick their hand through the steering wheel while driving. Please do not try this.

11. RedMS

RedMS Member

Apologies. I suppose I should’ve added a disclaimer. Didn’t realize there are those who are **** enough to fall for it.

Disclaimer: ** TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK **

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Oh, there are plenty, even Tesla owners can be phenomenally stupid. They sometimes even make the news, or at best, the Darwin Awards.