Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel no longer goes up or down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrComputer

TeslaClubLA President
Jan 29, 2009
Sherman Oaks, CA
About three weeks ago I got back in my car after lunch and my steering wheel didn't return to its set driving position from the easy entry position...it stayed up. I know that sometimes I've had this before and I would just press my pre-set name and all would be well. This time nothing happened. I then tried to manually adjust the steering wheel back down and the manual up-and-down controls would not work. Interestingly, the wheel would still manually go in and out. So now I was stuck driving my car in "bus driver" mode with my wheel all the way in the up position.

My car was already scheduled to go in to have the half-shafts / motor mount fix in a few days so they added that to the list. No amount of rebooting (either software reboot or battery disconnect reboot) fixed the issue. When I brought it to the service center and they had it for a few days they said that it looked like it was an internal failure of either the motor or control module in the steering wheel and they've ordered the part but it will take another week to come in. So they gave me my car back after fixing the other issues and I've just been driving it with the steering wheel all the way up (very annoying).

Today, mysteriously, three weeks after it stopped working, I got in the car to run to an appointment and the steering wheel happily returned to its normal position. I had continued to work throughout all of the stops I've made today. I had no firmware updates and nothing has been done to the car. Has anyone had this issue?

Today, mysteriously, three weeks after it stopped working, I got in the car to run to an appointment and the steering wheel happily returned to its normal position. I had continued to work throughout all of the stops I've made today. I had no firmware updates and nothing has been done to the car. Has anyone had this issue?
I'd keep your phone handy so when/if it happens again before you go back to service that you can take a snapshot of the steering wheel (or sky or whatever) so you have an exact date/time. I've used this idea so I can give them a point in time to look at the logs. Perhaps the will see a fault of some sort.