Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Steps? That is really weird, our Y's (both Sept 2022) do not have steps and turn smoothly.

Just a clarification: are these "steps" like détentes, or like steering notches? I think I understand what you mean but that is really weird. Your description seems to indicate that this is new; I would definitely take that in for service....

Upvote 0
Steps? That is really weird, our Y's (both Sept 2022) do not have steps and turn smoothly.

Just a clarification: are these "steps" like détentes, or like steering notches? I think I understand what you mean but that is really weird. Your description seems to indicate that this is new; I would definitely take that in for service....
Yeah, havent felt it before yesterday on the highway. You can even feel it when not driving. Imagine the dial on a watch showing the seconds. Thats how it feel's. But looks like a service appointment is the way out. Thks your feedback.

Upvote 0
Just as a update case interested, Tesla advised that it's a problem they know about and that it is software related. It will hopefully be solved in the next software update, whatever that means. Sake good order im on version v11.1(2022.44.25.1.....)
Honestly I would be very suspicious of this answer. Any software update that did this to the steering would be a serious safety concern and should be recalled. If they claim this then demand they fix it with a rollback (they can absolutely do this even if they claim they can't). This is a serious safety concern. Also, I have not heard of any similar complaints with any recent updates (has anybody else???). So yeah, I think they just did not want to deal with you right now.
I am not an expert, but this sounds like a mechanical/electrical issue with the booster motor on the steering rack. Possibly a blown out phase winding or one of the phases blown out in the inverter that runs that motor. Please keep us posted. And also please don't let Tesla try and convince you this is ok.

Upvote 0
Honestly I would be very suspicious of this answer. Any software update that did this to the steering would be a serious safety concern and should be recalled. If they claim this then demand they fix it with a rollback (they can absolutely do this even if they claim they can't). This is a serious safety concern. Also, I have not heard of any similar complaints with any recent updates (has anybody else???). So yeah, I think they just did not want to deal with you right now.
I am not an expert, but this sounds like a mechanical/electrical issue with the booster motor on the steering rack. Possibly a blown out phase winding or one of the phases blown out in the inverter that runs that motor. Please keep us posted. And also please don't let Tesla try and convince you this is ok.
I agree, that answer seems off. I would request a second opinion or detail explanation of the issue they “know about”.

Upvote 0
The self-driving motor is connected to the steering rack with a grooved belt. So, if the motor is slightly agitated, it could create the sensation of steps in the steering wheel movement. Or, the mechanical interface between the rack & turning mechanism is damaged. Or the torque sensor in the steering wheel interface is janky.
Same thoughts.
And software could correct that issue.

Reactions: Skytte
Upvote 0
Thanks to those who commented. Pleased to advise we had a software update this morning on the car and once performed the steering was back to normal. I noticed we also had issues same day when driving on the highway with the self-driving function. Car would not change lane as usual when indicating. So im tempted to think @exxxviii and @starise is on to something.

Upvote 0
I find it hard to believe that a software update could "fix" a problem with the steering. I'm not saying I doubt you, but I would have thought everything was mechanical in the steering linkage

Regardless, steering is pretty much the only thing Click and Clack ever took seriously

...well that and electric trailer brakes 😋

Upvote 0
Just to chime in, I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Shanghai built Model Y received September 2022, current firmware version is 2022.44.25. Car recently was at the service center, they confirmed the issue, and claimed it was a known issue that it will be resolved by a firmware update in the future. They warmed up the steering rack and claimed the steering became smoother, but it was no better when I got the car back.
I did notice that when turning the wheel fast, there are no "notches", it's only when turning the wheel slowly.

Upvote 0