TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Steering Wheel Not Centered

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scottflys, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. scottflys

scottflys Member

I've noticed that when I drive my new MS my steering wheel is not exactly centered when driving perfectly straight. The left side of the steering wheel is a little lower then the right. The car drives straight but looking at the steering wheel it's a little off.
    Can this be adjusted or normal for Tesla?
    Thx

• Informative x 2
  2. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

#2 NOLA_Mike, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    It can be adjusted (and should be) during an alignment. That drives me nuts and, for me, requires an immediate alignment. :)

Mike

• Love x 1
  3. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Mine was off but the car pulled slightly to the right. I made an appointment a week after picking up the car and they did the alignment for free. After 2 weeks, the steering wheel is slightly off to the left now but the car goes straight.

4. gfab333

gfab333 Member

Received my model S three weeks ago and have the exact same issue. I plan on taking it to the SC with a punch list on this and a few other minor issues.

5. gfab333

gfab333 Member

Problem solved. Great service by the Kakaako SC team, SA Chauntelle and Guru mechanic Eric!!!

Really appreciate Eric taking the time to explain some other tech items on the car to me as well. First class customer service!

6. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Left side down seems to be the default position from the factory. Also, the headlights seem to be always aimed low. 1-2 turns of the adjuster up is about right.

7. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Mine is like this too. It was perfect then one day I noticed it was off centre slightly. Drives me insane! The wife tells me she didn't hit any large pot holes or anything..... riiiiiiiight......

8. Petra

Petra Member

I've had two loaners with misaligned steering wheels... it's a simple thing to fix that should be taken care of during an alignment.

9. KOL2000

KOL2000 Member

Remarkable to me that this problem still persists and appears on new cars. I had my service center fix this atleast 10 times on my early 2013 p85+. And of course my X had this issue too.

10. Struja

Struja Member

I didn't even know this could be a thing until I read your post. Got in my car and noticed mine isn't even close to straight either.

Probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise. Don't know if your post was a blessing or a curse!!! LOL!!!

11. mongo

mongo Member

Depending on the road you are on, the crown that sheds water to the shoulder can cause you to need to provide a slight correction from center. On a multilane highway, this effect would be opposite for left vs right lanes.

12. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

It isn't unusual for the steering wheel to be slightly out of line - this happens in all cars - and should be easy to fix, especially when Tesla does service and an alignment.

13. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

^^ What he said!!!