Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel off center but alignment in spec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of a new car, just like the previous one, it was immediately out of alignment. The steering wheel is slightly to the right, brought it to the service center, they aligned it and it's within spec. Scheduled another center as they were unavailable and that center remote in and said it's within spec but the wheel is still slightly to the right.

Anyone else have this issue and what can be done? On my previous Y, they were able to do it spot on. I thought about removing the steering wheel and putting it one notch to the left if that's possible?

Took delivery of a new car, just like the previous one, it was immediately out of alignment. The steering wheel is slightly to the right, brought it to the service center, they aligned it and it's within spec. Scheduled another center as they were unavailable and that center remote in and said it's within spec but the wheel is still slightly to the right.

Anyone else have this issue and what can be done? On my previous Y, they were able to do it spot on. I thought about removing the steering wheel and putting it one notch to the left if that's possible?
You can't just reposition the wheel it's keyed on the shaft. Schedule a service appointmet with your service center. They have to do a complete allignment and if you tell them that the steering wheel is off and by how much they will fix it at that time. A bunch of the threes were shipped this way.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tha_Ape and Vin_L

Happened to my Y and they fixed it.
1636213080579.png

Had it too. After alignment it took about 80-100 miles of driving and it self corrected. Just make sure the car goes to deep sleep (nothing running and not plugged in).

What is this self correcting thing? Does the steering wheel recenter? I drove 200 miles after the alignment and didn't notice anything, did you?
Mine was pulling to the right even after perfect alignment. We also made sure the wheel was centered. A possible explanation was that somehow less torque was pushed to the passenger wheel since toe was way off. It happened to couple of folks before and they said that after deep sleep and some driving, the computer adjusted everything. Which is exactly what happened to me - i was getting worried that it happened after alignment, but one day it just went away and wheel is straight and car doesn’t pull to any direction. If that’s not your case, you might have another issue - frame, bushings, or something else.

omg I'm not alone! was about to post about my m3lr with the same issue. I just took delivery 9/26 and had the off center steering wheel issue y'all are talking about. it tracked straight but wheel looks to be turned slightly to the left. I brought it in and they did an alignment. problem persisted. I'm wfh so I haven't driven the car all that much so I wonder if this self correction will happen. I had my second visit today and they told me it's "within spec." I was wondering if it would be possible to get a second opinion from a different service center.

My 2019 M3, 2020 MY and 2022 MY all had steering wheels that were not centered even though the car tracked perfectly down the road so you're not alone. I brought it back and they said they've seen a lot of this and that they corrected it. Nope... now it's off in the opposite direction. So now ANOTHER trip back. I'm almost inclined to pay a good alignment shop to do it right at this point.

My 2019 M3, 2020 MY and 2022 MY all had steering wheels that were not centered even though the car tracked perfectly down the road so you're not alone. I brought it back and they said they've seen a lot of this and that they corrected it. Nope... now it's off in the opposite direction. So now ANOTHER trip back. I'm almost inclined to pay a good alignment shop to do it right at this point.
Mine was doing it after alignment, but it self-corrected itself after about 100 miles of driving. Make sure you do that before you go for another alignment.

How does a steering wheel self-center? To align a steering wheel, you do a four wheel alignment and if the wheel is off-center, both front tie rods get turned equally to center the wheel. If you watch YouTube videos of alignments at car factories, they lock the centered steering wheels in place during the alignment. That seems to be where things are going astray in Fremont.

Last edited:
I picked up my MYLR on 2/26/22 and noticed the steering wheel was off center to the right although the car had no problems going straight.

I scheduled an appointment a few days later to get it fixed. I was told it would be quick and I could pick the car up in 2-3 hours. Of course, the car sat at the SC all day and nothing was done.

I have another appointment on Mon but my steering wheel is now much closer to center than it was before after I've driven 300 miles. I guess I'll still bring it in because I later noticed a wire hanging down below the glove box which I guess needs to be pushed back into the console. I have a feeling the SC will say the steering wheel in "in spec" now.