Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel off center but alignment in spec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed slight off center to the right, so I requested an appointment, and the initial estimate came back with $125, and the text message was asking if I had any incident that might cause misalignment, and I texted back and told them no. I also mentioned that a lot of owners with similar delivery time frame were experiencing the same issue (off center to the right). Tesla app updated the estimate to $0 within minutes.
So, what should I expect? I am dropping off the car on Friday 0700. Do I get a loaner or Uber credit? I am 60 miles away from the SC, and I am not planning on bringing my wife with separate vehicle.
WIll they brush off the issue (slight off center to the right) and send me home? or Will they perform the alignment anyway? maybe test drive to confirm it first?
If you have a booked time I would expect a couple hours max. I'm sure they will do it but if any issue, show them this thread lol. I expect it's all done by the time I'm posting this so let us know how it went.

If you have a booked time I would expect a couple hours max. I'm sure they will do it but if any issue, show them this thread lol. I expect it's all done by the time I'm posting this so let us know how it went.
Since Tesla essentially did away with loaner cars, they would provide either free rental (Enterprise) or Uber voucher. The fix is a couple hours but it depends on how many cars are in front of you. I dropped off mine at 8:40 a.m. and got a text that it was ready after 1 p.m. If you tell them you are waiting for it, you may get priority, don't know.

Interesting. Had my LR Y delivered this morning, immediately noticed the steering wheel had to be slightly to the right to go straight. So took it back and they gave me a loaner Y while they fixed it for a few hours.

The loaner....exact same issue!

Told the guy when I dropped it off, he just said "oh that's weird, thanks for telling me". Something to watch out for I guess.

Interesting. Had my LR Y delivered this morning, immediately noticed the steering wheel had to be slightly to the right to go straight. So took it back and they gave me a loaner Y while they fixed it for a few hours.

The loaner....exact same issue!

Told the guy when I dropped it off, he just said "oh that's weird, thanks for telling me". Something to watch out for I guess.
Hilarious. Obviously it's a thing on the new builds but I guess communication has gone out to the service centers about it. Congrats on the new ride, even with these issues they are such great cars and so fun to drive.

Just got the alignment done at the SC. Arrived at 0730 and got the car back at 0945. Free or charge. As I suspected, the toe values were off, hence off centered steering wheel from the factory.
Now the alignment is perfect with the perfectly centered steering wheel.

I have had my MYP for 6 months, only 2200 miles but I work from home. Finally got around to making an appointment for the slightly off-center steering wheel issue. $287 later Tesla fixed it--it's now "within specs" still not perfect IMO and the diagnostic shows the improvement, however I was charged b/c they said I must've hit a bump or pothole to take it out of alignment. Should have brought it to their attention upon delivery, but there you have it, lesson learned.

I have had my MYP for 6 months, only 2200 miles but I work from home. Finally got around to making an appointment for the slightly off-center steering wheel issue. $287 later Tesla fixed it--it's now "within specs" still not perfect IMO and the diagnostic shows the improvement, however I was charged b/c they said I must've hit a bump or pothole to take it out of alignment. Should have brought it to their attention upon delivery, but there you have it, lesson learned.
It is unfortunate that you did not notice the issue sooner. I reported the issue only after ready the forum at 400 miles. No attempt to charge me. I heard others had that and ended up getting it free as "goodwill repair". There had been enough cases of steering off center reported. You could have them inspected your tires and see if they could show signs of impact. I also heard (from this thread) that some SC quote $180+ for the fix. Market price quotes?

It’s basic, basic, basic steering components. It should not be difficult at all to get an alignment completed correctly. Self centering steering? Hmm. All the mechanical components need to be adjusted correctly though. Otherwise what good is self centering steering.

Same here. 2022 MS. I needed new tires ($2800+ with alignment... ouch) and they also did an alignment. It is just slightly off to the left. Went back. They had the car for a whole day to tell me it is within specs. They showed me the service screen showing the wheel centered. I went home, entered service mode and it is off by maybe 1-2 degrees. If I turn it centered, it is on the right side of the acceptable range. If this makes sense. Anyways. They will not do anything about it.

Should I bring it to a tire shop? I have a nice one next to us we use all the time (should have this time but I figured it is a Tesla so... maybe I should just bring it there.... WRONG!). What is this self centering thing? Thanks!

Same here. 2022 MS. I needed new tires ($2800+ with alignment... ouch) and they also did an alignment. It is just slightly off to the left. Went back. They had the car for a whole day to tell me it is within specs. They showed me the service screen showing the wheel centered. I went home, entered service mode and it is off by maybe 1-2 degrees. If I turn it centered, it is on the right side of the acceptable range. If this makes sense. Anyways. They will not do anything about it.

Should I bring it to a tire shop? I have a nice one next to us we use all the time (should have this time but I figured it is a Tesla so... maybe I should just bring it there.... WRONG!). What is this self centering thing? Thanks!

Tire shops generally do not do alignments unless they actually have the machine. I assume there is nothing special about Tesla and alignments, but who knows. What self centering thing are you referring to?