Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel off center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new 2021 Model Y (Long Range) delivered before new year. Didn't see any big issue on the outlook like other earlier Model Y owners posted on Youtube. Love the car so much. But did noticed two issues:

1) Limited movement on the driver side mirror.
Seems this issue have been resolved from another post here on TMC, will try the solution first thing tomorrow morning.

2) Steering wheel slightly off the center to the right.
Noticed this on the first day that when the car is going straight, my steering wheel turns slightly to the right about less than 5 degrees. If I try to move steering wheel to the center(need a little force), my car will turn slightly to the left. I also tried auto pilot feature to see when Tesla controls the car what will happen. Turns out the car could stays straight with the wheel off to the right. Not a huge issue but still not expecting this on a new car.

Anybody experiencing the same issue? Any potential issue other than need an alignment? I am new to the forum and thank you all in advance!

Got my new 2021 Model Y (Long Range) delivered before new year. Didn't see any big issue on the outlook like other earlier Model Y owners posted on Youtube. Love the car so much. But did noticed two issues:

Seems this issue have been resolved from another post here on TMC, will try the solution first thing tomorrow morning.

Noticed this on the first day that when the car is going straight, my steering wheel turns slightly to the right about less than 5 degrees. If I try to move steering wheel to the center(need a little force), my car will turn slightly to the left. I also tried auto pilot feature to see when Tesla controls the car what will happen. Turns out the car could stays straight with the wheel off to the right. Not a huge issue but still not expecting this on a new car.

Anybody experiencing the same issue? Any potential issue other than need an alignment? I am new to the forum and thank you all in advance!

I had the same issue with offset steering wheel. Booked the car into service center for alignment and that fixed it. I agree shouldn't happen with a new car but as others have reported Tesla pre-delivery inspections leave a lot to be desired.

Reactions: MikeBur
Both issues have been reported several times. FE alignment should take care of the steering wheel, but some have complained that the SC doesn't always resolve it on the first try.

Driver's mirror? Super easy fix. Search for the thread (use the eyeglass icon, upper right corner of homepage)
Hope you're enjoying your car!

Both issues have been reported several times. FE alignment should take care of the steering wheel, but some have complained that the SC doesn't always resolve it on the first try.

Driver's mirror? Super easy fix. Search for the thread (use the eyeglass icon, upper right corner of homepage)
Hope you're enjoying your car!
Thanks! Best car we have been driven so far. We enjoy very much.

Mirror issue got fixed this morning with the solution from another post. Works like a charm now. :)

Will definitely schedule a service for the steering wheel issue.

I had to ask the sc to re-center the steering wheel 3 times before it was done right.

Our steering wheel was off to the right a tiny bit as well. My wife didn't notice it, but it bothered me. We explained it when we took it in due to an airbag sensor fault along with two areas of the rear bumper not being aligned correctly that we also hadn't noticed at delivery.

All items were handled ahead of schedule and correctly, the steering wheel was fixed via a four-wheel alignment done as a "goodwill repair). The only issue I can see remaining now with the car is that the dashboard itself is off center (there's a small gap between it and the driver's door but on the passenger side it very slightly hits the doorpanel.) We've decided it's not a big deal to us, I'd rather not have them take it all apart and like as not introduce another issue trying to fix that and it took us weeks to even notice it.

Overall besides these (mainly corrected minor faults) the assembly quality is excellent, far better than what we were afraid of possibly getting. Our car was built right at the end of quarter changeover (has October VIN build tag, but we were told at the end of September it was actively being staged for shipment in the Fremont parking lot.)

Can you take a picture of your steering wheel? I feel like min is off center by like 1-2 degrees but then I start to wonder if I'm just crazy since it is so minuscule I can't tell if it is actually off center or not. Curious what yours looks like to compare.

I went to Tesla SC and had them center the wheel and check alignment. I was charged $58 for alignment check. They noted the steering wheel was off center 3 degrees. It was adjusted 2.5 degrees. Still looks off centered to me.

FWIW, the SC also “fixed” my frunk closing by shifting the hood forward. Now the hood is about a pencil width below the fenders. I give up on adjustments. It’s a lease... I’ll try to forget these flaws for the next 3 years.

I have/had the same issues. Took it to them twice to fix but I swear it still feels off. I have given up on their service center and will likely take it to an independent shop to fix. Every time I take the car into the service center, they magically create a new problem (doors now misaligned, a new body panel gap, new scratches on the interior).

I have/had the same issues. Took it to them twice to fix but I swear it still feels off. I have given up on their service center and will likely take it to an independent shop to fix. Every time I take the car into the service center, they magically create a new problem (doors now misaligned, a new body panel gap, new scratches on the interior).
The steering wheel is splined and keyed so it's impossible to mount it off center. Any off center issues probably are related to alignment and they should be able to fix that. At about the 14:35 mark in this video you can see how the wheel is mounted.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

Seriously? You take it in for an alignment issue, and someone takes the time to loosen bolts on your doors, move body panels around?

This is absurd. You're probably just more aware of issues that were already there when you pick up your car.

I had the same issue with offset steering wheel. Booked the car into service center for alignment and that fixed it. I agree shouldn't happen with a new car but as others have reported Tesla pre-delivery inspections leave a lot to be desired.
Had the same issue...tilted to the right by 2 or 3 degrees. It was so minor I didn’t really care for the first two months but ended up going to a Tesla approved body shop to have the alignment done for $125. I didn’t think the SC would do it under warranty after 2 months of driving.

I had the steering wheel off by 2-5 degrees and noticed when I used autopilot. After seeing it I could not live with it. I also read a thread about tire replacement at 5-7k miles and was very concerned about alignment.

I took it in with less than 400miles on the car and they did the alignment and centered the wheel at NC.

The key to have this fixed the first time is letting them know the steering wheel needs to be centered and once they do this they have to align the wheels. My understanding is all SC have alignment tools. When they centered the steering wheel it needs to be connected to a Tesla computer for some reason?

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46
We're picking up our new MY LR in 3 days (Sunday). Do you guys recommend a front-end alignment, on a proactive basis, even if everything appears OK?
It's not clear if the Service Center in Richmond, VA will do alignments or I should take it to a local garage, specializing in wheel alignments.
Thanks for any thoughts/comments!

Awareness is key. If the steering wheel isn't right, have it addressed by the SC. If the car drifts, ditto.

Tesla is like every other manufacturer. They SHOULD check FEA as part of prepping the car, but sometimes don't get it right. Alignment competency at SCs seems to be inconsistent.

I'm at almost 3k, steering wheel perfectly centered, hands-off straight for miles, no unusual tire wear. That's what I would expect for any MY.

Awareness is key. If the steering wheel isn't right, have it addressed by the SC. If the car drifts, ditto.

Tesla is like every other manufacturer. They SHOULD check FEA as part of prepping the car, but sometimes don't get it right. Alignment competency at SCs seems to be inconsistent.

I'm at almost 3k, steering wheel perfectly centered, hands-off straight for miles, no unusual tire wear. That's what I would expect for any MY.
Thanks for the response @Pianewman . Makes sense. I'd just hate to burn up new tires for no reason. I'll keep tabs on the wear and check for the centered steering wheel, etc. Thanks again.

The key to have this fixed the first time is letting them know the steering wheel needs to be centered and once they do this they have to align the wheels. My understanding is all SC have alignment tools. When they centered the steering wheel it needs to be connected to a Tesla computer for some reason?

I just purchased my first new car in over 10 yrs (2008 Tacoma) - my steering wheel is also off-center ~4-5 degrees to the right as well. My GF didnt notice, but I instantly did and now I can't "not" notice it.

Any issues getting it resolved with the SC? Is it best to ask for steering wheel to be centered first, THEN for a realignment, or will the SC pretty know what to do to fix? I really don't want to make two trips if by centering the steering wheel it makes the car drift to the left.

Thanks! New here and excited to get used to my M3.