Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel off center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Did they say what was wrong with the suspension links that caused them inability to align the wheels?
No, they didn't. I think they just wanted to close my service request out and move on to another one.

But you made me look at the detailed invoice, and it looked like they replaced the front suspension arms and links when they couldn't figure out why they couldn't align the wheels.

Reactions: Koolio46
Hi, I got my Model Y two years ago and had the same problem, off center to the right. Took it to Tesla twice but they couldn't center it even when claiming they had done so. I don't believe the tech even bothered to drive the car and verify.

Took my Y to a local alignment speciality shop just today and they fixed it the first time. Wish I had done that 2 years ago, my bad. Alignment Specialities in Beaveron, OR.

Hi, I got my Model Y two years ago and had the same problem, off center to the right. Took it to Tesla twice but they couldn't center it even when claiming they had done so. I don't believe the tech even bothered to drive the car and verify.

Took my Y to a local alignment speciality shop just today and they fixed it the first time. Wish I had done that 2 years ago, my bad. Alignment Specialities in Beaveron, OR.
From what I've read so far, Tesla just aligns the wheels and calls it a day. That's what they did with my car. An alignment shop will typically re-center the steering wheel after an alignment. I'm not sure if Teslas have an adjustment steering wheel alignment. I would imagine they should. I may end up going to an alignment shop myself. My wheel remains about 3 - 5° off to the right, and it bugs me.

Reactions: VroombaY
From what I've read so far, Tesla just aligns the wheels and calls it a day. That's what they did with my car. An alignment shop will typically re-center the steering wheel after an alignment. I'm not sure if Teslas have an adjustment steering wheel alignment. I would imagine they should. I may end up going to an alignment shop myself. My wheel remains about 3 - 5° off to the right, and it bugs me.
You can fix it yourself like I did, if your certain your alignment is in spec then you loosen the tie rod nuts 21mm wrench and a 14mm wrench is needed. If your steering wheel is to the right to make the wheel center you would turn it to the left causing the wheels to turn left. So pause that image in your head (wheels to the left, steering straight). Tie rods are in front of the wheel hub so if you craw under your car from the front of the car laying on your back with your head towards the back of the car loosen the nut. On the left wheel you would tighten it to bring the wheel inward since the left wheel is pointing out. For the right wheel you would loosen the tie rod to push the wheel out. Do this a quarter turn on each side and your steering wheel should be more centered. This is what a shop did and later I did to fine tune it.

Reactions: Koolio46 and TheLex
Just got a Model Y today in Santa Barbara and noticed the steering wheel being 3 degrees off center to the right. I took it back and asked them to fix it. A technician took a ride with me to see the problem and straight down refused that there is a problem. He blamed it on the road. Not impress with Tesla on this.

Just got a Model Y today in Santa Barbara and noticed the steering wheel being 3 degrees off center to the right. I took it back and asked them to fix it. A technician took a ride with me to see the problem and straight down refused that there is a problem. He blamed it on the road. Not impress with Tesla on this.

The employees at Tesla Service Centers are just straight up liars.

The employees at Tesla Service Centers are just straight up liars.

Totally, so after all this fuss and the technician insisting that there is no problem, they agreed to get the alignment checked for free. This is what I got back:
Screenshot 2023-10-20 112728.png

"I don't see any problem" my a**. Why the Gaslighting.

Anyway, they fixed it for free, so I guess I should be happy.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
My new to me 2022 Model 3 LR with a Feb 2022 build date also has the steering wheel curved slightly to the right. The previous owner didn't rotate the tires (Michelin MXM4 18") and they were 6/32" front and 5/32" rear at the time of purchase. Seems like a cosmetic defect to me, so I'll probably ignore it unless I notice excessive/uneven tire wear.

My new to me 2022 Model 3 LR with a Feb 2022 build date also has the steering wheel curved slightly to the right. The previous owner didn't rotate the tires (Michelin MXM4 18") and they were 6/32" front and 5/32" rear at the time of purchase. Seems like a cosmetic defect to me, so I'll probably ignore it unless I notice excessive/uneven tire wear.

I understand that it may not bother you, but keep in mind that it is NOT cosmetic. There is an underlying problem

Tilted steering wheels have bothered me a few times with different cars. Guess I am a little OCD with that, but when I am driving straight, I don't want the steering wheel to look like I am about to go off-roading.
What I did find out over time though is that this can be a perception to some extend, and differ from person to person, as it matters what you measure "straight" against. The dash, instruments (in other cars) and trim is not necessarily installed perfectly horizontal.
So in the MY, what are you all comparing against? Pictures would certainly help!

I remember back in the day before air bags, you would just pop out the horn cap, mark the stalk teeth position, loosen the single bolt, yank the steering wheel off and then turn it a tooth or two over when putting the steering wheel back on.
Life was simpler back in those days.
Now if it was pulling to a side, well a $40 alignment on a floor aligning machine was all that was needed.