Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel off center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased my first new car in over 10 yrs (2008 Tacoma) - my steering wheel is also off-center ~4-5 degrees to the right as well. My GF didnt notice, but I instantly did and now I can't "not" notice it.

Any issues getting it resolved with the SC? Is it best to ask for steering wheel to be centered first, THEN for a realignment, or will the SC pretty know what to do to fix? I really don't want to make two trips if by centering the steering wheel it makes the car drift to the left.

Thanks! New here and excited to get used to my M3.
I can't speak for your local SC, but, if they're trained properly, they'll know the sequence. The simplest solution is for the FE guy to simply place the steering wheel in a perfectly centered position, lock it in place (I've seen a telescoping rod, placed tightly between the brake pedal/floor and the steering wheel) and THEN make the mechanical adjustments in the front end. It's labor intensive to align, and then remove the steering wheel and change it's position. I've seen it done both ways, but prefer the former.
I'd have the SC work this out. If they fail (and...uhh...sometimes they do) it's worth it to spend the $100+ to have a qualified suspension shop do the work. There's nothing special about Tesla suspensions, and you might prefer, in the long run, saving money by creating a relationship with an indie FE/tire shop.
Hope this helps.

Koolio46: Common, perhaps, to those that post here. Tesla delivered around 185,000 cars in Q1 2021. We'll never know if it's a common occurrence.

I bet if you did the detective work at the factory, you could trace it down to when some guy, probably named Bob, was on shift in alignments.

Both my Tesla's came with the steering wheel to the right, and Tesla couldn't fix it, and an independent couldn't fix it, so I bought a Track Ace laser toe alignment tool and got it absolutely perfect myself (and fixed excessive toe in both the front and rear on both cars).

The shape of the steering wheel with the Tesla logo acting as a compass needle makes any slight tilt super annoying. A lot of these shops just don't want to take the time/effort to tweak it to perfection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koolio46
I bet if you did the detective work at the factory, you could trace it down to when some guy, probably named Bob, was on shift in alignments.

Both my Tesla's came with the steering wheel to the right, and Tesla couldn't fix it, and an independent couldn't fix it, so I bought a Track Ace laser toe alignment tool and got it absolutely perfect myself (and fixed excessive toe in both the front and rear on both cars).

The shape of the steering wheel with the Tesla logo acting as a compass needle makes any slight tilt super annoying. A lot of these shops just don't want to take the time/effort to tweak it to perfection.
Track Ace, I remember seeing someone post about that before. Did a quick search and seems like it’s only available in the UK. The link to the US distributor / seller is dead.

Where do you get the alignment specs for each vehicle for that device (so you know you’ve got the correct alignment)? Also, where did you purchase (assuming you purchased it in the US)?

We're picking up our new MY LR in 3 days (Sunday). Do you guys recommend a front-end alignment, on a proactive basis, even if everything appears OK?
It's not clear if the Service Center in Richmond, VA will do alignments or I should take it to a local garage, specializing in wheel alignments.
Thanks for any thoughts/comments!
My 2018 AWD alignment was off (right front toe was -0.32, best is very close to zero, left toe was 0.02) and was wearing the inside of that tire very noticeably at about 10k miles. I would say it's worth getting the alignment checked right away or at least fully measuring and tracking tread depth all across all of the tires to see if they are even over many miles. If they are, then chances are better that no alignment is needed.

Just picked up MY yesterday from SC and the steering wheel is still off center after it was aligned and both front door is still not align flush with the rear door after adjusting, SC also cut the left front window weather strip body seal about 3 feet to modify the fiting/align issue. Just bought 1 week.

I brought my 1 week old Y into the service center today due to the wheel being to the right, and a rattle. When I picked it up, the wheel is now slightly to the left. Its one of those live with it things. On a lighter note, they did fix the rattle in my front headliner, so the trip to the SC wasn't a complete waste.

Reactions: Deutsch100
I took my March 2021 MYP to the service center today for the steering wheel being off center to the right by 5 degrees. Immediately, they had a technician road test the car while I waited. The technician made it very clear to my service advisor that the wheel was definitely off center, not my perception. Apparently, after a full day of multiple alignments the car kept returning back to 5 degrees off center. This prompted the SC to escalate to engineering. The SC will be keeping the car for a week while I get an ice loaner. The concern is the subframe may not be aligned. The MYP has only 300 miles on it. My fear is this may end up becoming a lemon after putting in $3,600 in PPF.

FWIW, our other MYP also had the steering wheel off center by 4-5 degrees to the right that was fixed with an alignment and steering wheel centering.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Quick follow-up from my steering wheel off center saga. After the SC spoke with engineering, there is apparently an auto / electronic steering wheel adjustment. The SC was informed how to reset it, which allow the rack adjustments and steering wheel alignment to remain centered.

However, there is now a clunking noise coming from the front end when turning. It’s most noticeable after the car has been sitting a while. This will be added to the 2nd spoiler coming off, and the passenger door rubbing the front edge.

My steering wheel was off center just slightly as well and I notated it in the first 100 miles after I picked it up. I told them it feels like it is a tooth off on the spline. They performed a 4 wheel alignment and said it was very slightly off. The car tracks the same to me (tracked straight always) but the steering wheel is now centered and does not bother me anymore.

I just purchased my first new car in over 10 yrs (2008 Tacoma) - my steering wheel is also off-center ~4-5 degrees to the right as well. My GF didnt notice, but I instantly did and now I can't "not" notice it.

Any issues getting it resolved with the SC? Is it best to ask for steering wheel to be centered first, THEN for a realignment, or will the SC pretty know what to do to fix? I really don't want to make two trips if by centering the steering wheel it makes the car drift to the left.

Thanks! New here and excited to get used to my M3.
You might have gotten this corrected already, but I just got back from my SC and they did a 4 wheel alignment which corrected the issue with the steering wheel being off center.

Had the same issue...tilted to the right by 2 or 3 degrees. It was so minor I didn’t really care for the first two months but ended up going to a Tesla approved body shop to have the alignment done for $125. I didn’t think the SC would do it under warranty after 2 months of driving.
The key to have this fixed the first time is letting them know the steering wheel needs to be centered and once they do this they have to align the wheels. My understanding is all SC have alignment tools. When they centered the steering wheel it needs to be connected to a Tesla computer for some reason?

I am also reporting a steering wheel that is ~5% to the right since delivery. Made a service request using the app and they want to charge estimated $135 to correct because my car has 1000 miles on it which is more than the "100 miles" they state. Basically if you get excited and drive the brand new $70K car over 100 miles, they will refuse to fix it. Obviously not happy since this is a highly reported issue on the message board and what kind of roads do they think I'm driving on in SoCal?

I am also reporting a steering wheel that is ~5% to the right since delivery. Made a service request using the app and they want to charge estimated $135 to correct because my car has 1000 miles on it which is more than the "100 miles" they state. Basically if you get excited and drive the brand new $70K car over 100 miles, they will refuse to fix it. Obviously not happy since this is a highly reported issue on the message board and what kind of roads do they think I'm driving on in SoCal?
My steering wheel is tilted to the right. However I realized that it is the perfect amount of tilt so that my left had can rest on the bottom of the wheel providing sufficient torque to keep AP happy. So I’ll be keeping it.

Got my new 2021 Model Y (Long Range) delivered before new year. Didn't see any big issue on the outlook like other earlier Model Y owners posted on Youtube. Love the car so much. But did noticed two issues:

1) Limited movement on the driver side mirror.
Seems this issue have been resolved from another post here on TMC, will try the solution first thing tomorrow morning.

2) Steering wheel slightly off the center to the right.
Noticed this on the first day that when the car is going straight, my steering wheel turns slightly to the right about less than 5 degrees. If I try to move steering wheel to the center(need a little force), my car will turn slightly to the left. I also tried auto pilot feature to see when Tesla controls the car what will happen. Turns out the car could stays straight with the wheel off to the right. Not a huge issue but still not expecting this on a new car.

Anybody experiencing the same issue? Any potential issue other than need an alignment? I am new to the forum and thank you all in advance!
I'm having the same steering wheel off to the right issue on my Model Y purchased about a year ago (early production). After twice taking it to the SC for alignment (and not fixing the problem), I'm convinced it is not a wheel alignment issue but perhaps the steering wheel not fixed correctly to its column.
In autopilot, even the blue icon on the screen is tilted to the right.

I'm having the same steering wheel off to the right issue on my Model Y purchased about a year ago (early production). After twice taking it to the SC for alignment (and not fixing the problem), I'm convinced it is not a wheel alignment issue but perhaps the steering wheel not fixed correctly to its column.
In autopilot, even the blue icon on the screen is tilted to the right.
Using AP, the wheel icon on the screen showed a slight tilt to the right as well. After a wheel alignment....perfect! Tesla wanted to charge me and wait weeks and weeks for an appt. I had our local and loved tire shop do the alignment. They made me a cup of coffee and did it while I waited. $75. So worth it!

Reactions: Koolio46