Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel shaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

On my drive into work today my steering wheel started shaking on the highway. Seems to get worse as I go faster. I thought it maybe the road but it was happening the whole 35 miles to work.
I've also noticed that if I let go of the wheel it will pull to the right. Tried that on multiple different roads and it was the same.
Checked the air pressure on the screen and all were reading about the same. When I got to work I checked all 4 tires and they look fine as far as I can tell. The car is about 2 months old and never had these issue before.

I booked a service appointment but the soonest is on 11/24. Could it be as simple as wheel balance/alignment/brakes? It's just odd that I didn't noticed this yesterday on the way home. I took some video and will try to post later.

Anyone else had this issue?

Hi all,

On my drive into work today my steering wheel started shaking on the highway. Seems to get worse as I go faster. I thought it maybe the road but it was happening the whole 35 miles to work.
I've also noticed that if I let go of the wheel it will pull to the right. Tried that on multiple different roads and it was the same.
Checked the air pressure on the screen and all were reading about the same. When I got to work I checked all 4 tires and they look fine as far as I can tell. The car is about 2 months old and never had these issue before.

I booked a service appointment but the soonest is on 11/24. Could it be as simple as wheel balance/alignment/brakes? It's just odd that I didn't noticed this yesterday on the way home. I took some video and will try to post later.

Anyone else had this issue?
The wheel will shake if driving near lane dividers, this is a feature
Could this be what you are experiencing ?

Shaking happened on the way home too. Tried turning off lane departure and that was no help. When I got home checked the lugs on each wheel and each torqued out at 129 ft#. Inspected the rims and no damage that I can see. I looked at the wheel weights and it doesn't appear that any are missing. I checked the app again and there was an earlier appointment so a changed it.

I would have lifted the front of the car and try to spin the wheels by hand to feel if there was any resistance or abnormal noise.

Beside a problem with the wheel balancing, it could be a wheel bearing or a CV joint issue,
or shock absorption cracked, while not common on a new car.

Did you try at slow speed, like when maneuvering in a garage with the steering completely turned of the left or the right,
to heard any cracking noise or feel any vibrations at the steering wheel?

Also, without the Auto Pilot on, at slow speed, does the car was going straight or slightly turning on one side?

Last edited:
I’m curious on the outcome of this as i have a slight shake also..not sure what it is..doesnt feel like traditional balance problem..

Car goes in to SC in 2 weeks...they are replacing the rear tires (10k miles on performance version) fronts look good still probably for 20k miles..

I will have them open up the 2 front wheels to check the foam and balance...

Watts_up: I didn't try those things before I brought it in but it was fading to the right.

Gavine: No I didn't use any fix a flat.

Larryfl1: I just got the text that my car is now fix. (Only one day!) Going to pick it up soon. According to the report they replaced both front tires due to loose foam and did a 4 wheel alignment. (only 4K on 20" inductions) I'll report back after I pick it up.