Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel shaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my car Wednesday night and the vibration is gone but when I left there was a rattling now somewhere in the back. It could of been there when this all started but everything was rattling with the vibration I went back the the SC and a tech took a test drive with me and thinks it maybe a clip that broke in one of the back panels. The way the car was shaking I would think he's right. They said I could leave the car or mobile could come out and fix it at home. Since the SC is over an hour away I chose the latter. They did mention that if it happens again later on that the tires will be prorated based on the thread. So if you have any vibration I would suggest to bring it in right away.

Picked up my car Wednesday night and the vibration is gone but when I left there was a rattling now somewhere in the back. It could of been there when this all started but everything was rattling with the vibration I went back the the SC and a tech took a test drive with me and thinks it maybe a clip that broke in one of the back panels.

Curious to hear the resolution to that rattle. I went out to pick up some lunch and I drove the same route to and from. Practically the whole drive there I had some buzzing/rattling coming from the rear hatch area. Once there I parked and went inside to pick up my order. I drove back the same route, and no rattle/buzz at all. Same roads, same speeds, only opened the driver's door. Every time I get somebody back there to help isolate it, it does not happen. Driving me nuts trying to understand where this noise is coming from. No idea if is the same thing or not, but at least it is something else I can check.

Curious to hear the resolution to that rattle. I went out to pick up some lunch and I drove the same route to and from.
Practically the whole drive there I had some buzzing/rattling coming from the rear hatch area.
Once there I parked and went inside to pick up my order. I drove back the same route,
and no rattle/buzz at all. Same roads, same speeds, only opened the driver's door.
Every time I get somebody back there to help isolate it, it does not happen.
Driving me nuts trying to understand where this noise is coming from.
No idea if is the same thing or not, but at least it is something else I can check.
It seems that if someone is sitting, the noise disappear?
May be have someone inside the trunk not touching the seat.
I suspect the rear back seat using three separates pieces at the origin of the noise.

I just experienced the same issue as OP (vibration of vehicle at highway speeds). Initially I thought it was a balance issue so I had costco balance the tires twice but the issue persisted. Eventually I made a service center appointment and they found that one of the tires had foam separation. The technician replaced the foam and the issue is now resolved. It took them two days (at the Burbank, CA service center).

I just experienced the same issue as OP (vibration of vehicle at highway speeds).
Did the vibration occurred on the front or rear axial?

The technician replaced the foam and the issue is now resolved.
Did you mean 'replaced the tire' ? or may be removed the foam and replaced with a new foam?

It took them two days (at the Burbank, CA service center).
Did you got a loaner or some Uber prepaid receipts?

Vibration was coming from the front and causing the steering wheel to noticeably shake/wobble when driving past 55 mph. They removed the foam and replaced it. I think they have been seeing this issue quite often because they took it out for a 15 minute test drive and came back with a quick diagnosis.

They gave me a loaner 2018 model S.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Same here with the rattle. Drove away from the sc and heard it every time I went over a bump. The tech rode in the backseat and it would only happen occasionally. When I got home I had my daughter drive me around and I lay down in the back with the rear seat folded and again it was only occasionally but I couldn't pin point it. Maybe somewhere in the passenger rear side. Then we went on a mini road trip and both the wife and I could hear it pretty consistently over bumps. At times it almost sounds like a back window rattle. Mobile is coming out on the 18th. Hopefully they can find it and it won't be another trip to the sc.

Make sure the lower control arms Bolts are still there and tight. We had a few last month with lose bolts. There’s a tread on this already.

99FF2E58-6ABB-440F-A8FB-CACD3AD116FA.jpeg